TechSpot

Scientists build 800Mbps wireless network with just LEDs

By Emil
Aug 2, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Scientists working at the Fraunhofer Institute for Telecommunications (Heinrich Hertz Institute) in Berlin, Germany have successfully developed a Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN) capable of speeds up to 800Mbps. They…

Read the whole story

2. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Evangelist Posts: 810   +102

Very creative. I wonder how this idea came to mind.

3. is a technology that has been investigated for over 100 years. Graham Bell himself and developed a device called the photophone, with which he managed to transmit sound through a light beam.

4. That is almost the same as a remote long (infrared LED), but with much more speed and instead of visible light or infrared This is a weapon of mass destruction epileptic

5. Emin3nce

Emin3nce TS Rookie Posts: 129

In planes? *stands up and shuts the Auto-Navigation off*

6. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,181   +528

basically it's fiberoptic with out the fiber so I guess it's just optic lol!

7. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Evangelist Posts: 810   +102

Audio at the speed of light?

8. yRaz

yRaz TS Evangelist Posts: 1,901   +942

At first I thought that was really funny, but then I realized that radio signals were just light anyway... At least it's faster than the speed of electricity.

9. jerrypalmer

jerrypalmer TS Rookie

And i hope the LED can also make the system cheaper than before so it will become affordable for all of us.

10. NunjaBusiness

NunjaBusiness TS Rookie Posts: 36

Now, I know radio and visible light are both made up of electromagnetic waves, but radio does not equal light. I believe that is what you call a "fallacy of the undistributed middle."
    And I think electricity travels at the speed of light.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

11. yRaz

I was referring to electricity running through copper wire.

http://www.kollewin.com/EX/09-15-03/em_spectrum.jpg
    I'm almost certain radio waves are light

12. dotVezz

dotVezz TS Enthusiast Posts: 111

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/electromagnetic_spectrum.png

For those of us who want to look at a funnier explanation of the Electromagnetic Spectrum.

Visible "light" and radio waves are both on the electromagnetic spectrum. But a good way to think of it is this:

Light is electromagnetic energy, and radio waves are electromagnetic energy. They are the same thing, but because of their different wavelengths, the methods of utilizing the energy is different.

Light is not radio, radio is not light. But they are the same thing (kinda).

13. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,953   +162

I read about this last year glad to see they finally made the concept a reality.

14. What if there exist or made a Variable Transducer or Spectrum Variable that you can adjust the Radio Waves to Produce a Visible Light Waves and vice versa? ô_ô

15. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,181   +528

Yea they are all electromagnetic energy (radio, IR, UV, Gamma rays, micro waves and etc) they are all different wave lengths. Gah where the heck is an online white board when I need one... I really wish I could explain this in person...

16. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TS Enthusiast Posts: 544

Well, electrons in the common outlets move at merely millimetres per second. So, in some cases, you can in fact run faster than electricity ;)

Energy moves at the speed of light in its selective medium though.

I'm glad that this turned real from concept though.

17. yRaz

I love that link, wont forget any of it. What really got me is that toasters are on there... And that potato, very important piece of information about the potato

18. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,318   +134

cant wait to be able to power my computer with light

haha

19. Ithryl

Ithryl TS Rookie Posts: 53

Heh that's brilliant.

I can imagine some potentially practical use for this form of information exchange. For example passing cars could blink at each other and exchange dunno what, playlists maybe. Or the information about their drivers and in case of compatibility turn around to grab them a coffee.