TechSpot

Scientists use DNA to store MP3, holds 2.2 petabytes per gram

By Rick
Jan 24, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Further exploring the role biological processes could one day play in the evolution of technology, researchers from the European Bioinformatics Institute claim to have successfully encoded 154 Shakespeare sonnets and an MP3 of Martin Luther King's  famed "I Have a Dream"...

Read more

2. Chazz

Chazz TS Maniac Posts: 640   +60

I wonder what the access time would be on this thing. I'd love to make a DVR of EVERYTHING imaginely possible.

3. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,078   +76

The RIAA isn't going to like this.

hammer2085 and Cueto_99 like this.
  4. Nima304

Nima304 TS Enthusiast Posts: 309   +37

No, they aren't. They'll try to stifle this just like every other advancement in storage technology.

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be random-access, and would read kind of like tape drives. If that's the case, I'm pretty sure it won't sit well next to flash storage except when extremely large amounts of information need to be stored.

5. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,387   +425

Who the hell thinks this stuff up??

6. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,078   +76

Asians

7. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,406   +1,592

Don't look at me!! I still don't understand how it's possible, even after reading the article.

SantistaUSA likes this.
  8. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,026   +154

9. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,378   +127

What if you catch a virus?

10. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,055   +970

Wow, DNA can store music..! This goes a long way toward explaining Jimi Hendrix, (and quite a few others).

Every time you sneeze, your music will skip like an old vinyl record...
    Which is exactly why someone should come up with an MP3 player in suppository form. Put it where they're least likely to look., and most inconvenienced by doing so. You'll get caught and possibly charged with treason, if you suddenly start farting the "Star Spangled Banner"......;)

Now boys and girls, don't try this in Utah. You'll likely be labeled a "sex offender" as well...! :eek:

11. Demigod001

Demigod001 TS Rookie Posts: 21

No they will love it! Just think the ultimate drm, Music and movies tied to your own dna. Only you can listen and play after a blood saliva and/or sperm sample has been analyzed.

12. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,973   +587

How do I set an account for access?

Can I install an antivirus?

I want at least 256-bit encryption on my data.

13. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,406   +1,592

Thats irrelevant as it can be done, without actually storing data within DNA.

Headline News:
    Worlds deadliest virus was created, while someone was storing data on how to cure the common cold.

14. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

It really makes the music come to life.

tomkaten likes this.
  15. gibbstar

gibbstar TS Rookie Posts: 25

This would be awesome for school if it had some built in GUI that you could see as an overlay on your eye (too sci-fi?). I could access all my books and files and ditch the bag! maybe even record lectures, so it's like being one of those lucky bastards with photographic memory?? "where's your notes? attached to my brain stem in a DNA file.." yes please!

16. captaincranky

You need to get out more Junior.

gibbstar likes this.
  17. McNasty

McNasty TS Rookie Posts: 33

18. Sunny87

Sunny87 TS Enthusiast Posts: 120   +11

Doesn't DNA decay and die quicker than plastics, silicone, carbon fiber, diamonds, gold, and in general any type of synthetic product that can be turned into a wafer for a storage chipset.

19. Yeoman

Yeoman TS Rookie

It won't take 10 years. Very soon tiger won't roar but utter something sounds like "I have a dream...", and parrot, a hi-fi version.

More seriously, it entangles with all lifeforms, and if it spreads, almost 100% of new births may be DBA (dead before arrival). Euro might be the first baren terra on earth, possible the whole world.

Many billions of years later, may be shorter, we have an alient planet.

Don't worry, worse comes to worst, some small fraction of world population will left to reboot. as it has done so in earth's history.

20. Sean Griffin

Sean Griffin TS Rookie

Way too much time on there hands haha.But interesting

21. captaincranky

I know...! And it's not like there isn't more important work that needs to be accomplished. For example, fighting world hunger, trying to bring about world peace, and upholding the ideals of the Miss America Pageant .....;)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.