TechSpot

Screen black after windows Vista logon, can get to task manager with ctrl-alt-del

By Marie Olgin
May 16, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. My computer monitor suddenly went black with only my mouse cursor showing. The computer was rebooted. And after with the windows login, the monitor was black again. I did a ctrl-alt-delete and was able to access task manager. I shut down Explorer.exe. Then went to Task Run and started it again. Still just a black screen. I am running a Dell XPS 435mt with Vista Windows Home Premium. I don't think it's a video issue because I did some diagnostics tests, and everywhere else I can see the screen, except windows.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Also when attempting to boot in safe mode it has hung after "Loaded: \Windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys" with only a "Please wait..." message.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Looks like the boot hard drive has failed or has become corrupted... could also be a memory failure

3. Marie Olgin

Marie Olgin TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 135

I have two mirrored hard drives. Can I just change it to boot from the other drive? Is it that easy?

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Did you set up the 2 mirrored drive RAID 1 array? You should see the RAID status briefly while the computer boots...and you should have gotten a warning before the problem occurred. Yes technically you could swap the drives and try booting