Seagate ext.hd

eightwpm

I have a free agent desk external HD 1TB that I cant get to work in windows 10 (It ran in win7pro). I receive I/O error message (no number detailed), from then on I get message "program is not responding." I have gone to seagate support site for help which is little to none. Computer see's hd but cannot get any response. I have disk wizard and device manager installed from seagate and receive I/O error. I believe the HD was designed for a 32bit system, I have a 64bit system, could this be the hangup? I intend to use this drive as backup only, also have tried re-formatting,will not run. Any info would be appreciated.

Last edited:
It sounds like it could be dead drive (or enclosure). The compatibility is unlikely be an issue, if it's just an external drive rather than something fancier than it's a standard USB device, not designed for a specific system.

Was that working immediately before you plugged it into the Windows 10 system or had it been some time since it was used?

Does it show up in Windows disk management?

EndlessWaves, it was working to the point that I was using it to backup files, and one day I had to do a system restore( I do not remember why I did the restore). Next thing I get the I/O error message and haven't been able to do anything. I have seagates diagnostic tools on machine. It will start to initialize the program and freezes showing the I/O error. Cycloid Torus, thanks for image I just might open it up, and will buy a new backup. Thanks for the reply's.

Back