TechSpot

Seagate whipping up 3TB Constellation ES hard drive

By Matthew
May 17, 2010
  1. Seagate product manager Barbara Craig today confirmed rumors that the storage company is readying a 3TB hard drive for release later this year. Dubbed Constellation ES, the drive – and presumably others like it – may stimulate an industry-wide overhaul that could see the end of DOS-era BIOS.

Read the whole story

2. tengeta

tengeta TS Enthusiast Posts: 632

Just ship it with two partitions, or have some that have two. Or is this not fixable the same way RAIDS over 2.1gb are?

3. BlindObject

BlindObject TS Rookie Posts: 446

It will have to happen some time or another.

4. The reports on 3TB drives I've seen all contain the claim that there is problem with the LBA but never go deeper. Why not?

This is NOT the first time the industry has had to deal with hard drive capacity limits. The most recent one I know of was the 128GiB (~137GB) limit which I believe was played out around 2000 to 2002. That "barrier" was supposedly eliminated when the industry switched from using a 28-bit LBA to a 48-bit LBA.

The point being that ALL current hardware and BIOS code should certainly support 48-bit LBAs. And a 48-bit LBA is big enough to support a drive over 144,000 TB, isn't it? (Assuming logical 512 bytes sectors).

So why is Seagate (?) claiming that there is a problem with the hardware size of the LBA? Someday, yes, maybe. But if everyone is using 48-bit LBAs then we're fine, aren't we? And if we're not fine ... we'll that would be a story I would hope the tech journalists would dig further into because it's not making any sense at all to me.

What the heck is up with this??

-irrational john

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.