"Search" missing from folder right-click menu

pjfarr

For some reason, the "search" option is missing from the context menu of certain folders. For instance, I have 6 folders in the same parent folder. If I right-click certain ones, "search" (and all the usual items) shows on the context menu. On others folders, it's missing altogether. It may have something to do with the type of content in the folders. i.e. one folder has nothing but fonts in it and the right-click menu has all the usual options including search. A folder right beside it has nothing but icons in it, and "search" (along with several other usual items) is missing.

Anyone know what gives...?

WinXP SP3.

In windows, some folders are "special folders" and are designed to display in certain ways.
In my own XP set up, the following subfolders in the System folder are special folders...

• Downloaded Program Files
  • Offline Webpages
  • Tasks.
Each of these has a special icon in the folders pane of windows explorer.
None of these has "search" as part of the context menu.

You might like to google for "special folders" and read about them.
This might be one place to start.
http://rselby.net/folders.htm

hth

Thanks, B00k. But the folders in question are normal, user-created folders. Created by right-clicking, choosing "New", then "Folder". And only some of them have this issue.

It may be that because of registry settings, these user folders still are being seen by the system as special folders.
Can you do a screen shot (print screen) save as a jpg and attach to your next post, and tell me which folders are the problem folders?

Sure, here you go. Hope it helps. Thanks B00k...

Attachments

• right.gif
    right.gif
    5 KB · Views: 6
  • wrong.gif
    wrong.gif
    4.5 KB · Views: 7
Okay... :eek:
Not quite what I meant.
I was looking for a screenshot showing the folders with their icons,
and your indication of which folders were not using "the right context menu".

Oh...sorry. :D

Well, they're just regular folders I created myself in the usual way: Plain, yellow, no special icons or looking any different than any other regular user-created folders. And they're scattered around my C and D drives, amongst other regular folders I created that don't have this problem.

I tried accessing these problematic folders via my wireless home network, and right-clicking on them remotely from my laptop (WinXP SP3 as well) shows the complete list of menu items (no issues).

Back