TechSpot

searchindexer.exe takes up much memory

By kitty500cat
Jul 29, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. There is a process in task manager called searchindexer.exe. It might only take up 7,000K, but when I end it, the page file usage goes down dramatically, maybe 50 or 60 MB. It starts itself up after I end it, though. What is it, and can I do something to keep it from running, or is it critical?
    thanks
  2. Ididmyc600

Ididmyc600 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,251

I did a quick google on searchindexer.exe and only found posts relating to Windows VIsta such as this one

http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=74851

It has a couple of suggestions on what it is and how to fix any problems with it.

As you dont state your OS this is just a guess...
  3. kitty500cat

kitty500cat Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 2,407   +6

I live in the US and have XP home. I downloaded the Microsoft Office 2007 Beta and when I would open Outlook, it would say that I needed to download something to enable the instant search feature in Outlook. I guess I downloaded it, the message doesn't show up anymore, and I'm wondering if it came from that. Thanks for help so far.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.