Searching for a Cable (VGA to Composite)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My roommates and I recently went all in and purchased a receiver, projector, and surround sound for our apartment. For the past few weeks, we've been content with watching movies and playing console games on the projector, but now a couple of us are interested in playing computer games on it as well. Now the university that we attend required us to purchase laptops from the university itself (so you can get an idea of the computers I'm talking about). Essentially, what we (or rather I) am looking for is a conversion cable that converts VGA into composite. I have had no luck in finding such a cable online and would appreciate any help offered.

Well....

Now I know that I don't know everything about computers, but I do think I know quite a bit, and seem to think that those either don't exist or are EXTREMELY uncommon. What I would suggest (assuming you have a new laptop) is that you use S-Video for the connection. Any reasonable receiver should have the inputs, and almost all laptops have the output. also, its only one, small cable that can be used for other things too. In fact, you may already have one laying around the apartment.

S-video should work provided that your laptop has s-vid out

The projector doesn't have a video input jack that looks like this does it?

Style_of_DVI_Connectors.gif

Well, the thing is my laptop has and S-video output so my laptop works, but the roommate who technically owns the projector does not, his computer is limited to VGA and some other port that we are still trying to figure out what it is. It looks to have the width of a regular monitor output, but height wise it is extremely thin and doesn't have the pin/hole arrangement that I recognize as a monitor output.

The reason we were looking for the VGA to composite is so that we would be able to run the computer sound through the surround sound system we bought. the only way I can think to do this with an S-video cable is to get a male to male audio cord and connect the headphone jack on the laptop to the composite audio input jack on the receiver.

some other port that we are still trying to figure out what it is. It looks to have the width of a regular monitor output, but height wise it is extremely thin and doesn't have the pin/hole arrangement that I recognize as a monitor output.

sounds like hdmi - look like this?

hdmi_000.jpg

It may indeed be an HDMI cable, that is something that we had not thought of. I'll look into that and if it is then we're good to go. The only setup glitch that we have now is regarding the other computers which only have the S-video cable and their hook up to the surround sound.

As for the VGA to composite, my room mate had said that he saw something to that effect.

Icoeph said:
The only setup glitch that we have now is regarding the other computers which only have the S-video cable and their hook up to the surround sound.

The simplest way is to totally ignore the idea of SURROUND sound, in the 5.1 definition, and simply use a headphone splitter off that port, and use a headphone jack to RCA audio cable for sound input to the receiver. That wouldn't be true surround, but you should be able to rout the sound to all speakers. Do you get what I'm saying?

http://www.mycableshop.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=255-038

Here's the cable I mean (you can get different lengths and genders).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back