Searching for a good way to diagnose my internet connection

Phanixis

I have been having numerous problems with my internet lately. On my desktop, Skype has been routinely causing 30 second interruptions with my internet services (I have already disabled nPnP). In addition, I will often lose connection to Steam while browsing the Steam store and I have had connection problems with at least one other online retailer. Each time, connections are lost for 30 - 60 seconds. It is getting quite irritating.

I am having a slightly different problem on my laptop while it is going through the same router. When streaming videos, they often won't buffer properly or even at all, leading to the video constantly pausing and starting up again.

There are so many things that could be wrong with my connection. It is my network router, my cable modem, my ISP, or even something on my computer. It would be nice if there was a program that could analyze my connection and determine where my internet connection is being severed when it is severed.

Could anyone recommend either a program or a method of diagnosing this problem.

Thanks.

First of all, we're going to need a speedtest.net report to see what kind of internet speeds you are dealing with in the first place. Second, when was the last time you did a reset on your router? Here's a link to a program that allows you to monitor your bandwith, which sounds like what you are asking for.

Two suggestions / suspects

1) see this post to chose the correct MTU for your system

2) use PATHPING google.com to inspect the reliability of your network
Pathping will show you dropped packets in the path from you to, in this case, google and
will take a few minutes to complete - - be patient and let it complete.

Back