Secure file and print sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texaus

I currently have a 4 pcs networked through inthernet cable and router. All of these pcs share files and printers. I want to put a wireless access point on this network. I want users to be able to use the wireless for internet access only; I do not want them to have access to files on hardwired pcs on network. Is this possible? Preferably I'd like the hardwired pcs to be fully insulated from any nasty that might come in through wireless access point.

You need a good Network installation manual... available on eBay... takes too much space and time to deal with on this site... but what you want to do is do-able.

Thansk Raybay, I'll look in to that.

Since my original post I think I've found a simple solution: Basically turn on the Guest account for each hardwired computer and set a password. Each time a shared folder/device is accessed xp will prompt for a password. This will affectively secure my shared files and only grant access to those with the password, correct?

Not really sure how foolproof this is, or if it will even work. Found it using good ole google. Thoughts anyone?

Here's a question: Assuming this does work, will the person accessing a shared file have to enter this password multiple times or can it be entered once and access is granted until pc is turned off?

you can use routing to isolate the WiFi from the Wired Lan; if you can't route, then that's better that NTFS perms/WPA or any thing else :)

like this
Code:
modem --(*WAN*)wired Router#1(x.y.0.1) --- simple 4x switch --- your existing LAN systems (all dhcp from router#1)
                |
           (x.y.0.z)wifi router#2(x.y.1.1) .... wifi connections (getting ip from router#2)
Each system will have a default route to the closest router
Configure router#2 to have a gateway of the *wan* (if possible) to ensure no routes to the existing lan. The default gateway from #2 will be #1.

the inverse setup should also work
Code:
modem --wifi router#2(x.y.1.1) .... wifi connections (getting ip from  (all dhcp from router#1)router#2)
                |
           (x.y.1.z)wired Router#1(x.y.0.1) --- your existing LAN systems
here the wifi default route will be to the modem -- I think this is the better choice

Thanks Jobeard. Unfortunately, that reads like greek to me! Is this something I should probablly pay a professional for, or can that be simplified (without too much effort on your end) into directions I might be able to follow?

Here is what I have set-up now:
DSL modem > Linksys Router
Out of Linksys router:
1) 4 pcs networked through ethernet cable
2) linksys wireless access point

Thanks Jobeard. Unfortunately, that reads like greek to me! Is this something I should probablly pay a professional for, or can that be simplified (without too much effort on your end) into directions I might be able to follow?

Here is what I have set-up now:
DSL modem > Linksys Router
Out of Linksys router:
1) 4 pcs networked through ethernet cable
2) linksys wireless access point

those are just wiring diagrams.
the only thing to 'configure' is the unique router address and to allow each to be a DHCP server.

AFTER you have Internet access for everyone (wired + wifi), then add encryption to keep your neighbors off your network.

here's how to test for isolation;

1) each system attached to a given router should be able to ping every over system attached to the same router

2) no system on one router should be able to ping a system on the other router.

Ping WHAT and how?

document the ip-address of every system
use run->cmd and then enter ipconfig
the reply is the ip-address of that system​
Once you have the addresses of all systems;

in that same CMD prompt window enter ping aa.bb.cc.dd where aa.bb.cc.dd is the address of some other system

if you get 'request timed out' then This system can not reach That one.

if you get Reply from aa.bb.cc.dd ... then This system can reach That one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back