Security researcher charged with defrauding Apple out of $2.5 million, company thanks...

midian182

Staff member
WTF?! It's not unusual to hear about people being charged with defrauding companies, but what is strange is when said corporation publicly thanks the accused two weeks after they were arrested. That's what happened with Apple and a security researcher accused of defrauding $2.5 million worth of gift cards and electronics from the Cupertino giant.

San Francisco security researcher Noah Roskin-Frazee and a co-defendant were charged with allegedly defrauding Apple by using a password reset tool to break into the account of an employee from a company that helped the iPhone maker with customer support, reports CourtWatch and 404 Media.

The accused are alleged to have then used employee credentials to access the company's VPN servers, which in turn allowed them to access Apple's systems. Once inside, they used its Toolbox program to edit orders. They changed some orders' monetary values to zero and added products such as phones, laptops, and gift cards to existing orders without cost.

In some instances, the defendants had the items shipped to fake addresses using false names so they could be resold. It's also alleged that the pair extended existing service contracts for friends and family.

The indictment states that the pair attempted to fraudulently obtain over $3 million from Apple through more than two dozen fraudulent orders. For orders that did complete, they obtained around $2.5 million in electronic gift cards and more than $100,000 in "products and services." The scheme started in December 2018 and continued until at least March 2019.

Apple isn't named in the indictment as the company involved, but it is listed as being headquartered in Cupertino, California, and that it "developed, manufactured, licensed, supported and sold computer software, consumer electronics, personal computers, and services."

What's unusual about this case is that Apple thanked Roskin-Frazee by name in a security update on January 22, even though he had been arrested for allegedly defrauding the firm almost two weeks earlier. Roskin-Frazee had received acknowledgments from Apple in the past for identifying vulnerabilities in its products, including macOS Ventura and macOS Sonoma.

It's unclear why Apple thanked the defendant after he was arrested – the most likely explanation is that it was just a mistake. The company has not responded to request for comment.

Permalink to story.

It's California. They thank the criminals and prosecute the people who try to help.
Something everyone seems to leave out of their snipes of CA is that it's been under various consent decrees from the Justice Dept. for decades for human rights violations in their prisons due to overcrowding and other worse violations. That combined with our blase', human throw-away philosophy regarding criminals, our population distribution, and our hatred of new immigrants leaves me wondering how these critics want to solve the looming problem of the boomers? Who is going to take care of them? I'm not saying that all criminals can be reformed, I'm just saying if you can come up with a more practical solution, I'm all ears. And I look forward to the day when there are no throw-away humans.

This world needs a serious reset, and so do the people. People who stand there recording a bad act, instead of helping, should be just as guilty. I get where the recording can be useful in defense of the person being wronged. That's kind of a catch 22, isn't it.

But me personally, I would drop everything and put the perpetrator in the ground. I will never (within my power) let anyone of any race be assaulted and just sit there and do nothing. I don't care if you are black, brown, white. Good people need to help people in need. PERIOD.

Back