security toolbar nightmare!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

t1gers

i share the computer with my roomates and the other day my buddy said the computer was messed up and acting funny. me being the most computer savvy i was voted to fix the problem. after many hours of running anti virus and spy ware tools i am at a loss. being a college student money is tight and we can't really spend money on more virus removal tools. any help would be appreciated. i think after my research it is this security toolbar 7.1 attack.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above, you wish to clean your system, do the following.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Also, let me know the results of the Panda Antirootkit scan.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of t1gers only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

i keep getting a msg that i have to remove links from my post it won't allow me to submit a copy of my HJT log

No, what I need, well, what you need really, is to follow the instructions I gave you in my post#2 and post all the requested log files etc after completing the said instructions.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of t1gers only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

ahh!!

well i have a new problem. when i got to step 10 and downloaded tool 1 i was unable to start my computer in safe mode. i hit F8 button and it took me to the menu. i then selected safe mode and the screen showed a list of files and never would go to the desktop. i must have gotten a pretty bad bug. ugh....

i followed the directions i hope this is what is needed

the panda antirootkit was fine. i just saw that you needed that info.

Delete all files in AVG Antispyware quarantine.

Your HJT log is clean. However, you`re running two antivirus programmes, McAfee and Symantec/Norton. This is not recommended, will slow your system down and can cause serious conflicts.

Run this Symantec/Norton removal tool.

Your Combofix log is clean.

Delete the following folders.

C:\Vundofix Backups
C:\Qoobox

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how HERE.

Now, turn system restore back on. This will have deleted all your old restore points and any nasties that are in them. It will also have created a new, clean restore point.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

thanks!

things seem to be working well now. i really appreciate your time and help. do i need to keep all these programs that i downloaded to fix this problem? if so which ones? if not what is the best way to get rid of them? add/remove programs? thanks again.

You can get rid of all the tools etc we used in getting rid of the problem.

Tools that can be got rid of are: Vundofix/smitfraudfix/combofix/HJT/Virtumunodbegone/avg antispyware.

Only AVG Antispyware needs to be uninstalled.

I suggest keeping Ad-Aware/SS&D/Ccleaner/Panda Antirootkit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back