See the first photos of Alicia Vikander as Lara Croft in the upcoming Tomb Raider movie

midian182

Staff member

Judging from their Rotten Tomatoes scores, no movie based on a video game has been well received by critics. The highest non-animated entry being Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, which stands at 36 percent. But like so many feature films, the poor ratings don’t always translate into box office failure.

Two of the most commercially successful titles in the genre are the Tomb Raider movies. The original, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, and its sequel, The Cradle of Life, grossed over $431 million combined, so it came as little surprise when a reboot was announced.

Replacing Angelina Jolie in the new movie is Alicia Vikander, whose career took off in 2015 with major roles in Ex Machina and The Danish Girl. Yesterday, Vanity Fair published the first images showing Vikander in the role of Croft.

As you can probably tell from the pictures, this origins story draws inspiration from the 2013 video game reboot of the series, along with its 2015 sequel, Rise of the Tomb Raider. Director Roar Uthaug said “elements of [Rise]” will appear in the movie.

“As an origin story, this movie will introduce Lara as a young woman who hasn’t yet found her way and her place in the world; a young woman with great spirit and potential,” he said. “We follow her struggles and her journey toward becoming the person she was meant to be and earning the role of ‘Tomb Raider,' he told GQ.

The new movie sees Lara traveling to the last known location of her father, who disappeared seven years earlier: a tomb on an island somewhere off the coast of Japan.

Tomb Raider also stars Dominic West, Walton Goggins, and Daniel Wu. We’ll have to wait a while before finding out if it breaks the movie-based-on-game curse - it’s set for release on March 16, 2018.

Permalink to story.

Something looks off to me.

Agreed. Looks more like a cosplay photoshoot than big budget movie stills. There better be an amazing trailer released...other wise this is going to be a huge flop.

But it looks like they're basing this film off of the younger Lara Croft from the rebooted games.

This isn't starwars episode 7? Well either way I'm not interested and played a lot of tomb raider as kid, new ones (the games) don't interest me either as I haven't seen any tombs in the promo material. Good Tomb raider movie wouldn't be that hard to make, just make a indy movie with a woman lead and remove swastikas of nazi.

There's a certain... Je ne sais quoi, that Angelina brought to the role but I'm not seeing in Alicia.

At least, from these pictures, which do look all sorts of off. Not sure whether it's the lighting, the focus or something else entirely, that is making them look wrong to the human eye, but wrong they look.

Now, this is going to sound incredibly petty, but am I the only one who thinks Alicia's forehead looks huge in these? She looks more bobble-head than Lara Croft stand-in.

Roads are the most fun to traverse when driving with a stick shift and there are plenty of curves but this road is on the straight and narrow so I'll be taking full advantage of my opportunity to pass...

Did the SJWs turn the "OO"s into "oo"s ?

You can bet your bottom dollar this will be SJWified Laura. I'm not knocking the actress here, mind you. I'm saying that the photography is suggesting that this is going to be a girl power movie intended to rebrand Tomb Raider like the most recent Ghost Busters attempted to rebrand Ghost Busters proper.

Sexy, sophisticated Lara will be replaced with bossy, stronger than any man Lara.

I think fans want or at least know Lara as the big boobed woman that we all liked and know. The new girl is smaller, not just in chest but in all around. Indeed something does seem off and unfortunately it's Lara herself that is off.
I doubt this movie will do well but lets hope I'm wrong for fans of the game sake.

Imo Resident Evil movies have done really well. While they don't follow the game all that well, the movies have done well and did prove the a woman playing the lead can do really well, especially when your a badass lol..

Kinda liked this actress in Ex Machina.
But as Lara Croft? Meh.... Not sure.
She's too slim and look way too fragile for the job lol.
The games reboot were very good, so story should be too... but Games to movie conversion are so friggin bad in general I'm not expecting much from this new movie.

I think she looks a lot like the current generation Tomb Raider and could careless about her bust size...That being said It will likely fail as video games are never made into great movies.

Sometimes we're surprised to see relatively unknown character take up a role and handles it surprisingly well, that we're impressed after watching the movie.

At first the stills look meh... but who knows... she might be able to deliver more than we expected...

Some people do give meaning to the word 'surprise'.

Back