Seek is the budget thermal camera add-on for Android and iOS

Shawn Knight

Staff member

seek thermal ios android camera thermal imaging add-on thermal imaging camera

FLIR’s ONE thermal camera for the iPhone was a pretty nifty gadget when it launched this past summer. But because it arrived in the form of a case for the iPhone 5 and iPhone 5s, it became obsolete almost immediately as the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus arrived last week.

If you’re still in the market for a mobile thermal imaging camera but don’t want to spend $349 on the proprietary, outdated FLIR ONE or thousands more for a professional model, perhaps the new Seek thermal camera will fit the bill.

seek thermal ios android camera thermal imaging add-on thermal imaging camera

This add-on camera connects to your Android or iOS device via micro USB or Lightning connector. It uses a custom 12-micron sensor chip developed in conjunction with Freescale and Raytheon that detects infrared light and uses the data from over 32,000 thermal pixels to create a visible image on your smartphone.

There are a few shortcomings with the Seek thermal camera that you might want to be aware of. For one, don’t expect jaw-dropping HD images as it’s only capable of producing a final image of 832 x 624 pixels and it must be used with the companion app. It's also small enough that it could easily be misplaced.

While immensely cool (especially at just $199), this add-on will likely be considered a novelty item for most. Firefighters, law enforcement and the military rely on higher-quality thermal imaging cameras but for the average handyman or contractor on a budget, this could be a real asset that won’t break the bank.

Permalink to story.

Very cool more to add to peoples rc helicopters stop calling them "drones" thats wanker media fodder for morons

I dont see very many practical uses for it. You could maybe use it to play Predator.

I used to use thermal cameras to check for mold behind walls, and hot spots where the insulation might be poor... Might also be a good tool to use for hunters?

I dont see very many practical uses for it. You could maybe use it to play Predator.
There aren't many. But like was pointed out above good for finding where insulation is weak. My work pays what I think is an excessive amount of money to have a company come in and do thermal imaging of our electrical panels/boxes to see where we may have some issues. So there are some practical uses, then there are some fun uses. At this price point it can be reasonably justified to have some fun with.
Still kinda voyueristic to see people do stuff through walls
Unless someone can prove me wrong, I don't think you can. Its just going to pick up the surface temperature of whatever solid object you are pointing it at, nothing behind that unless it is radiating enough heat to warm up that portion of the solid surface.

Back