Sega to release Dreamcast Collection for the Xbox 360, PC

Emil

Sega of America and Sega Europe have announced that a packaged compilation of classic titles from the Sega Dreamcast console will hit retail shelves for the Xbox 360 and the PC, as well as a digital download for the PC. The Dreamcast Collection reportedly features enhanced graphics for both platforms versions, as well as achievements and online leader boards for each game. The package will be available on February 25, 2011 in Europe and February 22, 2011 in North America.

The Dreamcast Collection includes four very different games: Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi, Sega Bass Fishing, and Space Channel 5: Part 2. Here's how Sega is pitching the games: "Players will get to enjoy four very different Dreamcast experiences, from hopping behind the steering wheel of Crazy Taxi, to taking things a little slower by luring in their fish before catching them hook, line and sinker with SEGA Bass Fishing. Alternatively, take over as intergalactic news reporter Ulala in Space Channel 5: Part 2 and dance your way past the evil Rhythm Rogues, or make it all about speed in Sonic's first Dreamcast outing, Sonic Adventure!"

"The Dreamcast console is still remembered as a pioneering console for online gaming," Gary Knight, VP of Marketing at SEGA of America and SEGA Europe, said in a statement. "We are delighted to be able to offer to our large community of dedicated fans a collection such as Dreamcast Collection for them to enjoy old favourites on this generation of consoles."

Permalink to story.

I am sure many people wouldnt mind seeing this happen, but even though its a simple case usually of a decent emulator and some roms on a disc, they should be able to get every available game on a disc no question. Or so I would have thought. Or make it so people can download to the hdd of the consoles.

Segas collections for old school games so far for the ps3 and xbox 360, those mega collections from the megadrive days, 10 naff games not worth playing.... thanks for the half hearted effort but no thanks.

Do it properly or dont bother imo.

I remember these dreamcast games and console had no security. Well it did but it was obfuscated because it was merely a gigabyte disc and nothing else could read them...except for the dreamcast which had a ?feature? for ripping games.
Anyway all dreamcast images can be burnt directly to cd and popped in the dreamcast and played as-is.
Only remember cause my whole DC collection burnt in a fire, so I pirated them all back.
Giga Wing being one of my favorites...almost impossible to beat but wow @ the explosions.

Most people can/are just going to use an emulator if they want these games for free. Even the most legal abiding people will use an emulator just as soon as they pirate songs, so although this is good it's prob. a waste of money.

I still have my Dreamcast, Crazy Taxi and Shenmue and Jet Set Radio... good times

VERY DISAPPOINTING! First, you can fit a lot more titles on a 9GB DVD-disc than four. Sure a GD-ROM can hold 1.2GB of data but most Dreamcast games only took up about 350MB. Second, Sonic Adventure and Crazy Taxi have already been released for download on Live Arcade and PSN. So we are only really getting two titles out of this compilation? Third, the games have in no way been updated graphically. Crazy Taxi in particular has not stood the test of time and looks absolutely hideous!

For bragging about the Dreamcast being the "pioneer" of online gaming and then not having any online capable games on the disc is pretty lame. I would think it would be a lot more profitable to just release a new updated version of Space Channel 5 with some kind of online multiplayer for the 360 and PS3 rather than have it on a compilation disc with a few extra bonus levels. Games I would have liked to see included: House of the Dead, Typing of the Dead, Marine Fishing, Virtua Tennis, 2K sports titles, Sega GT, Ecco, Chu Chu Rocket, Starlancer, Project Justice, Alien Front Online, etc. Two ported titles with two already ported titles packed in with no updating at all is really a poor job on Sega's part.

How could I forget Jet Grind Radio, one of my favorite games all-time :) Power Stone would be great too! Dreamcast is still one of my favorite systems but this compilation disc sucks!

What is wrong with Sega? Are they making business decisions by pulling numbers from a hat or something?

There are tons of far, FAR better games for the DC that they could re-release. Space Channel 5? What? Bass Fishing? THEY'RE CRAZY!

The games people would actually WANT are:

Shenmue 1+2

Power Stone (only number 1, 2 sucked)

Vanishing Point (incredible racing game)

Sonic (ok, they got that one)

Trickstyle

Carrier

too many more to name....

Oh yeah, ALL THE WICKED SHMUPS!

Back