Semiconductor shortages are preventing Sony from increasing PlayStation 5 production

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: Sony's PlayStation 5 has been "available" for close to three months yet still, many gamers interested in the console have not been able to find one to purchase in stores or online due to an array of issues. And unfortunately, it doesn't sound as if Sony is any closer to meeting demand due to component supply problems.

Sony as part of its latest earnings report warned that it is struggling to meet demand for the red-hot PlayStation 5.

The Japanese gaming giant said they are continuing to do everything in their power to ship as many units as possible to gamers anxiously waiting on the console. At a press briefing, however, Sony Corp. CFO Hiroki Totoki said it is difficult to increase production right now due to a shortage of semiconductors and other needed components.

As reported yesterday, Sony sold 4.5 million PlayStation 5 consoles as of the end of December. Despite the production setbacks, Sony said it is still on track to meet its goal for the fiscal year of more than 7.6 million units sold. Sony’s fiscal year ends March 31, 2021.

Sony’s PlayStation 5 launched on November 12, 2020, and has been next to impossible to find at retail ever since. A number of factors have played into the shortages, including a sharp rise in the usage of retail bots by scalpers who are buying up inventory and flipping the consoles for huge profits on third-party marketplaces like eBay.

A quick check of the auction site reveals that PS5s are still selling for between $800 and $850, well above the $499 MSRP for the disc-based version of the system.

Permalink to story.

Hopefully they'll be able to ramp up production by the time good games are available.

I am very happy, however, that SONY went a different route than Xbox and used regular M.2 SSD. 2TB prices remain around $199 - $300 but they are slowly declining.

Hopefully they'll be able to ramp up production by the time good games are available.

I am very happy, however, that SONY went a different route than Xbox and used regular M.2 SSD. 2TB prices remain around $199 - $300 but they are slowly declining.

Agree, but as of now it‘s not yet clear which nVme drives will be allowed. Currently, nVme drives are locked by software, but I am afraid that supported drives will be more in the Samsung 980 Pro territory, I.e. $229 for 1 TB.

Personally and simply my opinion, I dont see why people are so happy to jump to Sony just because of the exclusives.

The way I see it, anything that will limit my options is something to avoid.

Example, I bought Halo Wars on my PC, but due to the CPU and GPU shortages, I was lucky to get a Series X (at MSRP, FU scalpers) and guess what? I was able to continue playing the same game.

If in the future I can go back to PC gaming, my games will be there, will hopefully enjoy better graphics and all will be ok.

But here we are, people are desperate to jump into Sony locked down garden.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree, but as of now it‘s not yet clear which nVme drives will be allowed. Currently, nVme drives are locked by software, but I am afraid that supported drives will be more in the Samsung 980 Pro territory, I.e. $229 for 1 TB.

Thats one of the reasons why MS went with the proprietary external device, because people wont understand that not all drives are the same, will stick anything in there and then blame Sony when it doesnt work.

I dont necessarily agree with it, but it does makes a lot of sense.

Thats one of the reasons why MS went with the proprietary external device, because people wont understand that not all drives are the same, will stick anything in there and then blame Sony when it doesnt work.

I dont necessarily agree with it, but it does makes a lot of sense.
But then there's no competition to drive down prices. Samsung's competitors aren't going to sit around and take all glory, they'll step up with faster drives and lower prices or larger capacity's.

While Microsoft's 1TB will cost the same in 5 years time...

Personally and simply my opinion, I dont see why people are so happy to jump to Sony just because of the exclusives.
Because Sony's exclusives are actually, really good, Microsoft can't even get remotely close to a good game these days, let alone anything on Sony's level.

Speaking of walled gardens, look at Apple, if your Garden is that good, people don't care, they want in.

But then there's no competition to drive down prices. Samsung's competitors aren't going to sit around and take all glory, they'll step up with faster drives and lower prices or larger capacity's.

You do know we are talking about a console here? You know the ones that rarely get anything that resembles an open standard?

While Microsoft's 1TB will cost the same in 5 years time...

Very possible, its definitely one of those things thats a negative

But at the same time, those MS drives will work 100% every time that you use one.

Meanwhile, see the first post here, he already thinks that any drive should work.

Because Sony's exclusives are actually, really good

Whoosh....thats not the point of my post.

Microsoft can't even get remotely close to a good game these days, let alone anything on Sony's level.

Another whoosh here. Once again, you missed the point.

Speaking of walled gardens, look at Apple, if your Garden is that good, people don't care, they want in.

Glad you mentioned Apple. They work as a cult and as such, they will make really irrational decisions, like agreeing and supporting apple decisions in limiting YOUR choices of software that does affect you as a customer.

One example why I will sell my iPad Pro and get an Samsung Tab is that I can freely install and use XCloud, RetroArch, SteamLink and others that Apple blocked because they cannot make money out of them, yet makes the cult members believe that its a good thing to do so.

I also am primarily a PC gamer but I'm not going to fault a console gamer for choosing Playstation as their primary platform. In the end there are exclusives for PC too (and also Nintendo). If you want to avoid "limiting your options" you'd need to own all 3, but really, probably most anyone could find plenty to play on any one of the three.

Be honest, though, Microsoft would make the Xbox locked down if they could get away with it (and which they did, during the Xbox 360 days). And considering Xbox still makes you pay for multiplayer it's far from an open platform. Xbox's pivot exists only because they're on the back foot and have been for a while.

I also am primarily a PC gamer but I'm not going to fault a console gamer for choosing Playstation as their primary platform. In the end there are exclusives for PC too (and also Nintendo). If you want to avoid "limiting your options" you'd need to own all 3, but really, probably most anyone could find plenty to play on any one of the three.
I will. You get what you pay for and what you pay for is what you're voting for more of with your wallet. When you buy a console, you're encouraging all the bad corporate behavior that's part of the package.

As for PC "exclusives", they exist for two reasons: because their complexity requires an interface capable of complexity (e.g. strategy games, simulators, modding), which isn't the fault of the PC as a platform. Consoles are a limited platform by design. The other is because of publishers like Epic that try to restrict the distribution channels of a game, and if I haven't made it clear already my vitriol for Epic is boundless, precisely because it's about console-izing the PC.

I will get a PS5 when they are more available. How's the M.2 storage been working for you, is it running steady and staying cool?

The way I see it, anything that will limit my options is something to avoid.
Those exclusives are so good that it is worth it to be locked down in Sony's ecosystem. It's not like they have only 1 or 2 amazing games and after that only failures that will make you put the PS5 into storage... The fact that they make so many amazing games almost one after another is like a guarantee that the investment is worth it... MS is million miles away from that kind of quality of games... I'm still waiting for them to challenge Sony with at least 1 new amazing AAA game....

There are only 3 options here regarding this "issue" that you have (not me and many others, we don't have it):
1. You buy the PS5 because you want to play all those amazing games, now and each new one as soon as it comes.
2. You wait and hope that some of those amazing games will eventually (in some years?) come to PC... (that's IF and WHEN and a lot of waiting, and some will never come to PC).
3. You don't care at all, but you miss a lot of amazing games.

1. You buy the PS5 because you want to play all those amazing games, now and each new one as soon as it comes.
2. You wait and hope that some of those amazing games will eventually (in some years?) come to PC... (that's IF and WHEN and a lot of waiting, and some will never come to PC).
Like the Last of Us 2? That's a short measuring stick.

Be honest, though, Microsoft would make the Xbox locked down if they could get away with it (and which they did, during the Xbox 360 days). And considering Xbox still makes you pay for multiplayer it's far from an open platform. Xbox's pivot exists only because they're on the back foot and have been for a while.

Of course they tried and that was when I jumped to PC gaming full on.

About paying for multiplayer, doesnt affect me because I despise playing online with others. Either the cheaters or the ones that have done "things" to my mother are all there, so I stopped playing any games that requires others to enjoy.

If you see my other post, I recognize that the option from MS is friendly to me as a customer, so I am taking advantage of that, again, as a customer.

Supporting exclusives doesnt work on my favor, only on theirs, so why should I try?

Last edited by a moderator:
Those exclusives are so good that it is worth it to be locked down in Sony's ecosystem.
Imagine that 99% of the world stopped that narrow way of thinking and Sony is sitting on all those games, with nobody buying them, do you honestly believe that they will not release them on other platforms?

I dont know where we deviated, but back them, companies needed to bend over to their customers.

Now is the other way around, we the customers (more like cult members at this point) blindly worship them to the point that we defend their own anticonsumer practices.

In the end, you are happy being like that? Great.

I am happy in being pro ME first (customer wise, not as a selfish prick wise).

You do know we are talking about a console here? You know the ones that rarely get anything that resembles an open standard?
Yep, we were talking about the M.2 drive capability's of the PS5? What are you confused by?
Very possible, its definitely one of those things thats a negative
But at the same time, those MS drives will work 100% every time that you use one.
Meanwhile, see the first post here, he already thinks that any drive should work.
Oh I see, you were actually replying to QP. Sorry, that guy I sort of filter out like an Advert that won't go away, the dude only cares about stocks, Nvidia, Intel and errm, Apple, I have him unblocked because every so often, he makes a comment I agree with and he's quite funny.
Whoosh....thats not the point of my post.
Another whoosh here. Once again, you missed the point.
It's kinda painful watching you argue to be honest, you can't keep a cohesive argument together.
Glad you mentioned Apple. They work as a cult and as such, they will make really irrational decisions, like agreeing and supporting apple decisions in limiting YOUR choices of software that does affect you as a customer.

One example why I will sell my iPad Pro and get an Samsung Tab is that I can freely install and use XCloud, RetroArch, SteamLink and others that Apple blocked because they cannot make money out of them, yet makes the cult members believe that its a good thing to do so.
And this is why no one will ever take you seriously. Calling all walled gardens "cults" is immature and inaccurate. I mean, lets quote some more of you:
If you see my other post, I recognize that the option from MS is friendly to me as a customer, so I am taking advantage of that, again, as a customer.

Supporting exclusives doesnt work on my favor, only on theirs, so why should I try?
This right here just shows your inability to look back the last 20 years. Microsoft will happily make things Xbox exclusives if they can get away with it, In America Xbox may be big but around most of the globe, it's really not doing well compared to it's main competitor.
Imagine that 99% of the world stopped that narrow way of thinking and Sony is sitting on all those games, with nobody buying them, do you honestly believe that they will not release them on other platforms?
Why would 99% of the world deliberately buy a worse product for the same money "just to stick it to Sony"??
Now is the other way around, we the customers (more like cult members at this point) blindly worship them to the point that we defend their own anticonsumer practices.
Here we go with the cult references again, as I've already said. All very extreme and childish.
Oh, so you take this extreme stance on everything then? How's that going with pretty much all other industries out there?

Burty117, that is indeed an impressive wall of text that simply bended my comments to your convenience, yet you completely ignored my points.

then doubled down with direct attacks on my personal decision of not being a corporate sheep.

I wont add anything else because its simply feeding a troll and its clear you will never get satisfied.

Burty117, that is indeed an impressive wall of text that simply bended my comments to your convenience, yet you completely ignored my points.

then doubled down with direct attacks on my personal decision of not being a corporate sheep.

I wont add anything else because its simply feeding a troll and its clear you will never get satisfied.
Aaawww, bless ya, don't like it when someone points out how silly your point of view is ay 😉

Let's ignore everything that's been said so far and instead, concentrate on a singular train-of-thought you had:
Just this piece here, explain to me why 99% of the world would suddenly stop this "narrow way of thinking"? That's really the piece of your perspective I'd like an answer on.

I'm not bending anything then, I haven't even given an opinion yet, just want to hear from yourself why 99% of the world would suddenly stop thinking so narrow mindedly.

Like the Last of Us 2? That's a short measuring stick.
No, every amazing game for PS4 and onward for PS5, EXCEPT that TLOU2 ****.
I think there are enough amazing games, even if we subtract that abomination.

And no, that horrible game alone does not magically make all the other good ones worse...

I dont know where we deviated, but back them, companies needed to bend over to their customers.

In the end, you are happy being like that? Great.

I bought PS3 for only Gran Turismo 5 and 6. Those were the only 2 games I played on that system and I played them for about 1.5 years in total, for me that was more than worth the investment. I sold the console after that and recouped about 70% of it's initial price.

I bought the PS4 Pro ONLY for Bloodborne and after I played that for 3-4 months I discovered that there were quite a few more amazing PS4 games (GOW, Horizon ZD, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Guardian, Uncharted games, Gran Turismo Sport, etc). After I played those more than a year and again I sold the console for 80% of it's initial price.

I'm a PC gamer primary and I can afford to do that and I don't feel constrained by Sony's closed ecosystem at all. If that's what it takes for them to make amazing games, I have no issues with that.
I'm also not an early adopter and I'll buy the PS5 in 1 or 2 years, maybe only when/if PS5 Pro comes.

Those exclusives are so good that it is worth it to be locked down in Sony's ecosystem. It's not like they have only 1 or 2 amazing games and after that only failures that will make you put the PS5 into storage... The fact that they make so many amazing games almost one after another is like a guarantee that the investment is worth it... MS is million miles away from that kind of quality of games... I'm still waiting for them to challenge Sony with at least 1 new amazing AAA game....

There are only 3 options here regarding this "issue" that you have (not me and many others, we don't have it):

Fanboy detected. Sony has 2-3 good exclusives at best (GoW, uncharted, and what else?). The rest is either interesting to a small audience or something lookalike wrapped in sony clothes (repetitive GoT, Spider-Man, Horizon). Then they also killed TLoU2 with a terrible plot and no new gameplay added. I could continue, but it’s no use with sony adepts. I had every ps since 2 and still have a sober eye.

Fanboy detected. Sony has 2-3 good exclusives at best (GoW, uncharted, and what else?). The rest is either interesting to a small audience or something lookalike wrapped in sony clothes (repetitive GoT, Spider-Man, Horizon). Then they also killed TLoU2 with a terrible plot and no new gameplay added. I could continue, but it’s no use with sony adepts. I had every ps since 2 and still have a sober eye.
So let me get this: if I like those games that I said above your post, I'm a fanboy?
OK, then I am, because all those games are great and it's not just me who says that, but tens of millions of other players that bough them and enjoyed them...
What game/s do you like? Any one of those that you like a lot, you're a fanboy of too, and a hypocrite if you don't admit it.

Also I did say I despise TLOU2, does that make me a hater? Or I'm still a fanboy?

There is no innocent gamer here that is not a fanboy of one or more games, of PC or console gaming, of brands or of anything actually... it's a matter of perspective.

A blind fanboy would be someone that agrees on everything and does not question anything, brainwashed - worshiping. I'm far from that. I have enough dislikes about Sony, about some of it's games, even about the consoles themselves (PS4/PS5), yet still I like them more than MS, why? Because they give me by an order of magnitude more amazing games than MS ever did or does. I'm still waiting for that great AAA game from MS, when it comes I guess I'll become their fanboy too.

If Sony turns into MS today and starting tomorrow they release only mediocre games, I would not buy them, like them or support them anymore... does that still make me a fanboy? Like I said it's a matter of perspective.

Fanboy? Everyone is of something... Blind fanboy? That's a different thing...

Because Sony's exclusives are actually, really good, Microsoft can't even get remotely close to a good game these days, let alone anything on Sony's level.

That's your opinion, I didn't and still don't like any of them. And I absolutely don't understand why some were even made...
So you see, one man's treasure is another ones trash. Remember that.

Back