Sempron problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

TacticalFlow

I just got a sempron 2800+ on a nforce2 mobo but when i boot up it says its a 2400+.. I turned up the fbs to 166 and still 2400+ 2000mhz. Is there a way to fix this?

Does your motherbiard support that CPU? Go see the manufacturers website. Semprons are quite new and you may need to apply a BIOS update to be able to run it.

The Sempron 2800 is an XP 2400 running on a 333mhz bus. Even though the mobo supprts the chip you will need a newer BIOS before it will show up as a Sempron. As long as its running at 2.0 gig and on 333 bus you are good to go.

You didn't get ripped off... well, you may have depending on how much you paid for the chip, but that's the way it works.

I wasn't about to buy into the sempron crap so I took a 2200 and put it at 166mhz FSB, and it is now seen as a 2800+ (at 2.2ghz), but it doesn't read as a sempron.

How much did you pay for the sempron?

Originally posted by vegasgmc
The Sempron 2800 is an XP 2400 running on a 333mhz bus. Even though the mobo supprts the chip you will need a newer BIOS before it will show up as a Sempron. As long as its running at 2.0 gig and on 333 bus you are good to go.

If you go strictly by multipliers, it would actually be a 1900+ at 133mhz FSB since it is running at 1600mhz. If you have a tbred 1900+ and set it to 166mhz FSB, and your board supports semprons, it'll be seen as a 2800+.

You didnt get ripped off. AMD is replacing the Durons with the XP processors and changing the name to Sempron.

I built a new system using a 3100+ sempron, i thought it was also being recognized incorrectly as it showed up as 1800, but apparently this is correct.

Extract of an advert (Sempron 3100+ Processor (1.8GHz, 256KB, 333MHz FSB)
What does the 3100+ mean?
Wierd
Xp processors where based on the intel equivalent, what are these based on??

The speed indexes are still the same - based on whatever they were. Most likely the imaginary speed increase from the previous model AMD thinks they can sell you.

The Sempron model number is supposed to reflect its performance to a Celeron D Intel CPU (the Prescott based Celeron).

The 3100+ Sempron runs slower ( 1.8GHz vs 2GHz) then the 2800+ because it is on the Socket-754 platform & has all the enhancements brought on by the Athlon64 (single channel on-die memory controller, SSE2, etc.). It just lacks the AMD64 instruction set & only has 256kb of L2 cache as opposed to 512kb or 1024kb for the Athlon64.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back