TechSpot

Sempron problem

By TacticalFlow
Oct 1, 2004
  1. I just got a sempron 2800+ on a nforce2 mobo but when i boot up it says its a 2400+.. I turned up the fbs to 166 and still 2400+ 2000mhz. Is there a way to fix this?

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Does your motherbiard support that CPU? Go see the manufacturers website. Semprons are quite new and you may need to apply a BIOS update to be able to run it.

3. TacticalFlow

TacticalFlow TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 30

4. TacticalFlow

5. TacticalFlow

Someone plz help

6. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,377

The Sempron 2800 is an XP 2400 running on a 333mhz bus. Even though the mobo supprts the chip you will need a newer BIOS before it will show up as a Sempron. As long as its running at 2.0 gig and on 333 bus you are good to go.

7. TacticalFlow

Oh man i got ripped off then... Alright thanks for clearing that up

8. Justin

Justin TS Rookie Posts: 942

You didn't get ripped off... well, you may have depending on how much you paid for the chip, but that's the way it works.

I wasn't about to buy into the sempron crap so I took a 2200 and put it at 166mhz FSB, and it is now seen as a 2800+ (at 2.2ghz), but it doesn't read as a sempron.

How much did you pay for the sempron?

9. Justin

Justin TS Rookie Posts: 942

If you go strictly by multipliers, it would actually be a 1900+ at 133mhz FSB since it is running at 1600mhz. If you have a tbred 1900+ and set it to 166mhz FSB, and your board supports semprons, it'll be seen as a 2800+.

10. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,377

You didnt get ripped off. AMD is replacing the Durons with the XP processors and changing the name to Sempron.

11. TacticalFlow

Well it came free with the motherboard i got

12. TacticalFlow

I dont get what you are saying Soul Harvester

13. Shiney

Shiney TS Booster Posts: 157

I built a new system using a 3100+ sempron, i thought it was also being recognized incorrectly as it showed up as 1800, but apparently this is correct.

Extract of an advert (Sempron 3100+ Processor (1.8GHz, 256KB, 333MHz FSB)
    What does the 3100+ mean?
    Wierd
    Xp processors where based on the intel equivalent, what are these based on??

14. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

The speed indexes are still the same - based on whatever they were. Most likely the imaginary speed increase from the previous model AMD thinks they can sell you.

15. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

The Sempron model number is supposed to reflect its performance to a Celeron D Intel CPU (the Prescott based Celeron).

The 3100+ Sempron runs slower ( 1.8GHz vs 2GHz) then the 2800+ because it is on the Socket-754 platform & has all the enhancements brought on by the Athlon64 (single channel on-die memory controller, SSE2, etc.). It just lacks the AMD64 instruction set & only has 256kb of L2 cache as opposed to 512kb or 1024kb for the Athlon64.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.