Sending from KMail through GMail's POP service.

By VicRic
Apr 23, 2007
  1. Hi. Does anybody have experience using KMail (v1.9.5) in Fedora Core 6 to send messages out through GMail's POP service ?

I'm having problems sending messages, and I had this working through YahooMail's POP service.

The difference is that GMail requires the use of a secured SMTP connection from the email client to their server to be able to send messages out.

This is an extract from their guideline:

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - requires TLS: (use authentication)
    Use Authentication: Yes
    Use STARTTLS: Yes (some clients call this SSL)
    Port: 465 or 587
    Account Name: your Google Mail username (including
    Email Address: your full Google Mail email address (
    Password: your Google Mail password

Please note that if your client does not support SMTP authentication, you will not be able to access your Google Mail messages.

These are screenshots of my settings in KMail

I got the Security settings clicking on the "Check what server supports" button.

Do you have any tip to have this working ?

2. Justin

Justin TS Rookie Posts: 942

You don't need to send custom hostname.

For secure connection, choose SSL instead of TLS. I've had better luck with that, and in fact both clients I have on GMail are using SSL.
  3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

BTW, you don't have to send mail through the GMail server to have it appear "From" your GMail address (or "From" any other e-mail address for that matter). Furthermore, some ISPs/networks block SMTP connections to anywhere but their own SMTP relay.
  4. VicRic

VicRic TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 44

Thanks SoulHarvester, however choosing SSL doesn't work for me.

At first I thought it was a problem in KMail but I tried with Thunderbird and Evolution and got the same problem.

I've been reading in other forums that it is more likely a problem in GMail's server - it works for some people immediately, for others it doesn't work at all or is inconsistent.

As I said, in the past I used KMail with YahooMail connecting through unsecured SMTP access (via port 25), and of course it worked. I decided to go back to YahooMail and I noticed now they also offer secure connection (SSL via port 465) - I tried it and it worked perfectly first try. By the way, I kept the 'Custom Host Name' in place and it still works.

I'm happy with YahooMail.

Interesting article:

GMail vs YahooMail ?

... but with all due respect:

Don't think so!
  5. VicRic

VicRic TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 44

Hi Nodsu, thanks. I have my -let's call it- 'official' email handled by my ISP's mail server and using MS-Outlook 2000 as client. I use YahooMail with KMail on Fedora for my 'non-official' email activities. hehe.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.