separate wireless connections on 3 pcs

By vlatko
Mar 21, 2006
  1. sorry about the thread title, just didn't know how to describe my question. here goes;

i have one pc at home and one at the office, both have pci wireless cards, the two are not connected, cause they are far away. buuut! i do have a laptop! so i basically want to turn on my laptop at home and want it to connect to my home pc, i also want to turn in it up at the office and want it to connect with the pc there.

trouble is, it won't do that! when i am at at the office i can setup the connection, network settings and everything works, but when i get home, the laptop won't connect to my home pc. i have to setup everything there again for it to establish a connection. but when i do that, it won't work on my office pc anymore.

i'm really stumped with this and i don't know what to do. is there anything i can do? could you point me to some guide where a similar situation is explained? can you give me some pointers? it will be highly appreciated cause i need my laptop to connect to my wireless connection on both home and office pc.

much obliged,

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

"setup the connection" means what? In theory, Windows should detect any wireless networks (including ad-hoc), notify you about them and offer to connect to them.

Better software (comes with better laptops and better wireless adapters ( I <3 IBM/Lenovo )) also allows you to store "network profiles", so you can switch between network setups in a matter of a few mouse clicks.
  3. vlatko

vlatko TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 18

right now i tried the following, at office i set up a network called "wire", wrote down the keys, and set up the same network on the laptop, and it worked. then i got home and set up the same "wire" connection, entered the same key, on my home pc, didn't touch anything on the laptop, and it didn't work. i had to remake new network connections with different keys for the two to estblish a connection.

i have used windows for wireless connection on both the laptop and the 2 pcs. can i make those network profiles in windows?
    i have a hp nx6125 laptop and 2 exactly the same asus wireless pci adpters on both home and work pc.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.