Serious internet problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three computers on one router. Two have Vista, one has XP.

The two with Vista experience extreme latency when playing games online. They both slow down drastically over time. Downloads are the same, starting at 1.3mb/s for 1 second, and then dropping to 25 kb/s over 10-20 seconds. Web pages take a rediculous amount of time to load, as opposed to the laptop upstairs which is almost instant. These new computers are ordered Dells, and are fantastic. They are much better than the laptop upstairs.

I've run commands in the command prompt to test my connection to various websites. Each and every time the numbers are just beneath 100ms all the way up to an asterisk (*) which is an unacceptable amount of latency.

What's wrong? =/

Too many units on one ethernet cable.
They divide the incoming and outgoing connections by much more than three.
Tell us about your connection and the router. Sounds as if you are sharing a 1.5 mbps download and 768 mbps upload speed... or slower.
I suspect the only thing that will work is to increase your cable speed to 12 mbps download, and 1.5 mbps to 3.0 mbps upload speed.
But there could be other factors.
Ask your cable or DSL provider to test the speed from their tech support bench. Then use www.internetfrog.com to test the speeds at your three computers. My guess is that you are getting substantially less than that for which you are paying.

raybay said:
Too many units on one ethernet cable.
They divide the incoming and outgoing connections by much more than three.
Tell us about your connection and the router. Sounds as if you are sharing a 1.5 mbps download and 768 mbps upload speed... or slower.
I suspect the only thing that will work is to increase your cable speed to 12 mbps download, and 1.5 mbps to 3.0 mbps upload speed.
But there could be other factors.
Ask your cable or DSL provider to test the speed from their tech support bench. Then use www.internetfrog.com to test the speeds at your three computers. My guess is that you are getting substantially less than that for which you are paying.

This computer is new. It came with Vista. My old Computer had the same connection in the same spot with the same other computers with the same router. It didn't have this problem.

Well, there you have it. Better to say it is VISTA than to test the connections?

We know that VISTA requirements are very steep, compared to WXP. Well documented. If you have marginal connections by three on router, then VISTA will show up those marginal connections.

But then, you don't need to test all that stuff. How would it help, anyway?

Reoreyh said:
Each and every time the numbers are just beneath 100ms all the way up to an asterisk (*) which is an unacceptable amount of latency.

What's wrong? =/
the (*) are showing 'no response' from some node in the path' which has
nothing to do with your system.

First, stop all torrent activity and try using tracert www.google.com for example. i
t will shown every node from you to Google.
You should get all timing data w/o any (*). change to the website domain for
one of your torrent hosts and see how that responds

a better test is pathping $somesite as it will show where packets are getting dropped.

now restart the pathping and then on another system start a torrent download to see the effect.
most of the lossed packets will occur at YOUR end when the LAN is overloaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back