TechSpot

Service Pack 2 Install problems!

By Goofy Newfie
Oct 3, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. While attempting to install XP SP2 on my computer, I ran into some problems. I have been using Style XP to personalize my PC environment, and one of the things I changed was the XP boot screen. SP2 won't install because the boot screen info is not a Windows file. I uninstalled Style XP, but the boot screen hasn't reverted to the original XP boot screen. Instead, upon booting, it asks for a choice of either: a)Windows XP Home Ed. ({altered }boot screen) or b)Windows XP Home Ed. (original boot screen).
    Any ideas on how to sort through this mess? I just want to set up the new service pack.:(

Extra: Could this have something to do with Style XP hacking the ntoskrnl application?

2. jja

jja TS Rookie

When you uninstalled it didn't rewrite the boot ini
    replace the /fastdetect /KERNEL=kernel1.exe (style xp)

with the /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn or delete it and reboot
    [boot loader]
    timeout=4
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="GAMES GAMES DAMN BRAT GAMES (bootscreen)" /fastdetect /KERNEL=kernel1.exe
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="GAMES GAMES DAMN BRAT GAMES" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="My **** Leave It Alone Brats" /fastdetect
    C:\="Microsoft Windows"

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.