Service pack 2 keeps restarting my pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, after installing Service pack 2 for Win XP home. My win just keeps restarting itself after it completes loading windows. The furtherest I can get is my desktop wallpaper finish loading then after that my computer just restarts. And it just keeps restarting and loading window then restarting etc..
I'm very sure its cause by service pack 2 as after I restore my service pack 1 everything is fine.

I solve the problem by using backup mode and restoring my windows to a early date but does anyone know how to solve the problem of the restarting problem? As I would very much like to get the service pack 2 working thanks in advance.

Some basic spec from me

WinXP home SP 1
RAM 1 gig
Geforce 6600 GT
AMD Athlon 64 processor 2.04GHz
My graphic version is 71.89 (not the newest)

Wow thanks for the quick reply and for the help! But I didn't install any UMAX scanner driver at least not to my knowledge.. How do I find out I have and how do I remove it?

Ok I couldn't find any Umax drivers so I install the sp 2 and when startup I choose the "Disable auto restart with system failure" This is the error that came up in a BLUE page after my window finishes loading...

"Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

Technical Information:

*** STOP : 0x0000008E (0xC0000005,0x80543C1D,0xF36C9B20,0x00000000)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete
Contact your system adm..."

I still have about 30 gig free in my main harddisk. I have no idea what to do. I can't find any UMAX drivers nor do I know I have any installed in my OS. Any advice on how to solve this problem is greatly apprenticed thanks a lot!

Switch to linux or just dont use SP2. I dont...... causes more problems for me than it does fixing.

Ya I have to admit it does create more problems then it promises to solve :p
I have been experiencing slowdown in games like Call of duty 2 or The movies even through my system specs meet the requirements... Even with the updated video driver I encounter horrible lagging in those games. So I though upgrading the sp is the only way to go...

Actually SP2 causes Neverwinter Nights to crash also. I experimented with the SPs and Windows does seem to run general programs and games faster.

BiZ said:
Switch to linux or just dont use SP2. I dont...... causes more problems for me than it does fixing.

This is inherently bad advice as SP2 is not just a security update but a major OS upgrade.

If your system has problems SP2 will magnify them but on it's own SP2 is NOT the culprit...

patio. :cool:

Not really when i dont use it i dont have problems. When i use it i do, thats all that matters to me. And the security updates dont really matter. If someone wants in my computer and im just running sp2 with nothing changed theyre gonna get in if they know what theyre doing. The "security" you speak of i set up into my firewall as i used a port scanner on myself and blocked all the open ports i could.

You missed my point...it is a major OS upgrade not just a collection of security fixes.

Ehh.. so I'll be better off sticking to sp1? Another solution my friend suggested is to just reformat my main driver then with the minimum amount of software installed try to install the sp2. Anyone think this will solve the problem? Cuz I want to be really sure that can solve the problem before going through all the trouble for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back