Service Tag on Inspiroin 5150

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just replaced the System Board of the Inpiron 5150 and I try to use the
Asset.com and the SVCTAG.exe and I always have the error message: "Error can not change the Service Tag".

Do you anyone knows how to solve the problem?

Thanks
Pat

Hi and welcome.
I have swapped many Dell motherboards, and the only way I know to reset the TAG on a replacement board to the original on the old board is to use a special boot CD with a "Dell Engineer Only" program to change the BIOS. There may be resources available on the web, but the link given by Tmagic650 does not seem to give a solution directly.

use the DST software on my site its because you have an old version that you get that error, the newer version should change what you want..

or see this Ebay Item ...Here.

Regards

Link down there

Dont bother with that link from Tmagic

Why ??

Well all he sells is the manual on the shorting method, you dont need to short the laptop all you need to do is run the DST software I mentioned in my first post.

Tmagic : He doesnt send the software anymore with his manual, he just puts a link to my site in the manual, its an agreement we have to make sure his buyers always have the current version.

As for

Tmagic650 said:

Nope that just produces the Express TAG and is nothing to do with removing passwords or anything else.

Regards

That's cool Ididmyc600,
I was just trying to point sollatuser to a possible solution... or not :)

Sorry did I sound facetious when I wrote that, i was just trying to make sure the poster didnt think that they were a possible solution to his/her problem, it wasnt a dig at you, but I keep on having to deal with (although not as much now as when these threads first started) people who thought they knew all there was to know, im not saying I do know it all, but I do consider myself more of a force in this thread than most others (nope my head aint swelling).

I mean at the end of the day you are in the Guru ranks and Im still at the Addict rank on here, so like I said dont think im calling your technical ability into question...

Sorry again

Regards

SO I ask again.....

DId you download the DST software from my site ??????

Did you use it ???

Did it work ????

If not what happened, what error did you get ?????

Is there a battery in the laptop that works, if not the DST software wont work,

Try reflashing the BIOS and then run the DST software....

And please

WHEN YOU POST BACK TELL US WHAT EXACTLY IS GOING WRONG.....

Regards

Thanks,

I just download the software and it is working great with the I5150.

I have one more question.

One of the L400 that I have has a Administrator Password. Can I use a software to take it out or it is hardware only?

Regards
Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back