Services.exe triggers pc restart

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've signed up for the TechSpot forum because I'm having a problem with some of my office PC's and I'm hoping that one of you might help.

The problem is as follows: every 5 to 10 minutes the services.exe hangs and triggers an automatic restart of the PC, after counting down 60 seconds. Now I realise that this used to be a major problem several years ago, caused by the infamous Sasser-worm ans similar parasites. However, to my knowledge this vulnarability has been solved in Windows XP SP2. So I don't think my problem is caused by a virus or malware, although I can't rule it out, of course.

The problem started when I removed some PC's from our local domain and placed them into a temporary workgroup. From that moment on services.exe has lost it's common sense and triggers an automatic restart every 5 to 10 minutes. After I placed the PC's back into the domain, the problem has been solved on some of the PC's, but not on all of them!

So, does anyone know why swapping a PC between a domain and a workgroup causes an f#cked up services.exe, and how this can be solved? I'm using XP SP2 on all of the machines. If it's necesary, I can provide additional information about the PC's and our network.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Olaf van Kooten
Delcom International
Dussen, The Netherlands

the restart is due to a failure in a service that has a Recovery Option
set to RESTART SYSTEM instead of Restart Service or Take No action.

regardless, there should be a record of the failure on that machine.
get the Event Viewer and look under System for Failure events.
that should report the Event ID for research

there may also be a minidump at \windows\minidump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back