Set affinity

Tha General

I notice fraps is not using all my cores for neither of my rig , so when fraps is running, i have to set it . But shouldn't every program already be checked mark for all cores from the start?

Is there a way to enable it for every program that i install?
or some programs you have to set because they are not design to use more than one core?

A lot is software is written single thread, and FRAPS hardly needs more than one core anyway. Most games out there don't even use four cores, although that is changing.
I have six cores available and my anti virus only uses a couple for example. the software has to be written to make use of multi-core

For once I'll give cudos to MS for doing something right - - management of cores and multiple CPUs.

At work we experimented with the Affinity Settings and found that MS did much better at
managing them than we could ever begin to with manual assignments.

eg: for a multple CPU or core system where IIS was installed, Windows made sure that
TCP was on a different processor than the IIS engine; this gives better parallelism (obviously).

As noted by red1776, the issue is the application design to use threaded code.
Without threading, the dispatcher can't assist one ioda and you get what you get.

For threaded applications, the dispatcher will make effort to balance the workload across all processors.
Just how effective that will be is an advanced subject for the Computer Science gang (read: it's complicated).

Back