TechSpot

Set password for network share

By bsaber
Feb 6, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi everyone,

I have a wireless network setup ("workgroup" network) with file/printer sharing enabled. My sister has a tendency to "accidentally" delete files on one of my shared folders, which is on a computer connected to the network via a VPN connection. Does anyone know how I can make it so that it will require a password to gain access to that shared folder?

Bsaber
  2. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

Just set the access rights to read only for her user and full access for your user.
  3. bsaber

bsaber TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 56

How do I do that? I would prefer to just stop her from accessing the shared folder all together.

Thanks for the help.

Bsaber
  4. bsaber

bsaber TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 56

Anyone else has any suggestions?

Bsaber
  5. HillJack

HillJack TS Rookie Posts: 28

Right-click on the folder, choose Properties. Go to the Security tab. Under Group or User names, click Add... and put her user name into that list. Then, in the box called Permissions for user, click on Deny beside Full Access, which should make checks appear in all other boxes below it. Poof, she (her user name) now has no access to that folder :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.