Set up a dualboot of Vista & Cloned XP system over wireless network?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I really need some advice with a few aspects of what I'm trying to do.

My ultimate goal is to dual boot my new lap top, which came with Vista Home Premium pre-installed, and an image of my old laptop's XP Pro system.

My old xp laptop has 4 partitions(1 OS though) and the harddrive is of course smaller than the new.

What I want to do but don't know how:

1. I want to install the clone of the old system over a wireless network between the two laptops. I am COMPLETELY lost about how to go about doing that. I just don't want to end up having to make disks to do this.

2. I've dual booted before but never when the 2nd OS wasn't a fresh install, I have no idea how to fix the mbr or whatever it is that will need to be fixed for the cloned XP.

3. I'd like to shrink down the cloned XP so it doesn't have so much free space since the Vista will be my primary OS and will be needing more free space than the XP.

I've used both Norton Ghost and Acronis' image software in the past so I'm somewhat familiar with them, and am open to any other software that might make this easier for me.

Does anyone have the knowledge and patience to help me with this or the ability to point me to someone/somewhere that does? I would appreciate it so much. :)

I don'tt think we can help you here under the rules for this forum for no comment on illegal copying techniques.

I know that neither Ghost nor Acronis will work in making Windows XP boot... you still need the OS disc.

why is it illegal?

My old laptop had a vacuum cleaner fall on it a couple weeks ago damaging both the lcd(about half the screen is dead) and where the charger plugs in. it's complicated to describe but basically to charge it I have to unscrew all the screws and open it up and attach the charger in a weird fragile way. It was getting kinda old anyway so I bought a new one to replace it. I dont want to reinstall vista or anything and I still have the disk and legally own XP. the problem is that I have like my whole life on the XP laptop and can't lose all that info, and finding the setup files for all the software installed on my XP laptop will be extremely time consuming.

I legally own both XP and Vista and will be running them on only one computer so that doesn't violate their licensing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back