Set-up keeps looping

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbnine

Hello. I decided to reinstall Windows 2000 Professional on my laptop. Half way through the setup it threw up the message 'The file NT5INF.CAT on Windows 2000 Professional CD-ROM is needed. Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK.' The default location for the file is D:\i386 which I tried but with no luck.
I looked it up on the internet and found that the file
NT5INF.CAT relates to the CD-ROM drive. In other words Windows 2000 is no
longer detecting the CD-ROM drive.
See an explanation here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=228852
I've tried using a Windows 95 and Windows 98 Start-up disk to copy the i386
folder from the Windows 2000 CD-ROM to the hard disk but it doesn't work, simply because its not detecting the CD-ROM drive! I've also tried restarting the laptop several times with the set-up disk in hoping it might resolve a 'timing issue' (see the above link)
So, at the moment the laptop is stuck in a loop. Every time I restart it
begins by saying 'Set-up is restarting, please wait' Then after a while it
asks for the NT5INF.CAT file again.
I've tried restarting in Safe Mode and also with a command prompt but it
just loops. If I could get to a command prompt, could I solve the problem by
extracting the file from the system folder on the hard drive?
Here's another explanation from another website: 'Windows 2000 cannot find
the file nt5inf.cat. The problem occurs when Win2000's Set-up looks for but
can't find the CD-ROM drive because of outdated firmware on the drive
itself.' So is the only solution out of this would be to replace the CD-ROM
drive?
Thank you.

You can easily update the firmware on the drive. Well, updating the firmware is easy. Finding it is sometimes not as easy. Try updating the firmware on the drive and try again. You will most likely have to swap the drive to another PC to update the firmware and then put it back in that PC and try again if you can't get internet access

If you open the case and give make/model I can assist in searching with you.

Thanks for your help, herr5407. I can't see how to take the CD-ROM drive out but I'll investigate more over the weekend.
I don't know anyone else with a Dell Latitude. Will my CD-ROM drive fit in other laptops? To be honest, I can't think of anyone who'll be willing. lol

'I've tried using a Windows 95 and Windows 98 Start-up disk to copy the i386 folder from the Windows 2000 CD-ROM to the hard disk but it doesn't work, simply because its not detecting the CD-ROM drive!'

The Win 98 startup disk should see BOTH the cd and the hard drive with no problem.

So, with the Win98 disk in and cd in and boot sequence set to floppy, cd, HD can you boot to the floppy and read the cd and HD ?

Thanks for your help CCT. No, I can't boot to the CD-ROM drive where the Windows 98 disc is and the boot sequence is set to as you said. When I reboot the computer it says 'Setup is being restarted..........' then 'Please insert the Compact Disc labeled Windows 2000 Professional CD-ROM into your CD-ROM drive (D:) and then click OK.
When I click OK it then says 'The file NT5INF.CAT on Windows Professional CD-ROM is needed'
The default location for the file is D:\I386 but when I click OK, nothing happens. When I click cancel a message says 'An error has been encountered that prevents Setup from continuing. Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information. Press OK to view the Setup log file.' The only option left is to click Close and then it reboots and the loop starts again.

Um, I meant CREATE a Win98 startup disk for the floppy drive, and boot to it with the 2000 cd in the cd drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back