setting pagefile on a different HD than the OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Refwhett

Ok this is probably silly but I have XP on drive HD 1 drive C and would like to set the pagefile in its own partition on a second HD bur I don't really know how to do that.

Do you have a reason for wanting to put the pagefile elsewhere ? A common reason is to use Norton's disc optimiser, which will not allow checking or optimising on an NTFS drive which is in use (and of course, drive C: is always in use....

Separating pagefile is a sensible thing to do, but there are some factors to consider. Sometimes, when you add a new HD on a channel which already has another device on it (such as a CD or DVD or even your original HD) you can potentially suffer a performance hit on the second drive. You would need to check the access type (DMA etc) after adding the new drive to ensure you have not lost performance.

Another alternative is to shorten the C: partition and add another partition on the same drive just for swapfile use. Many do this, and setting aside 1GB is a suitable size. There is not normally any performance hit from that approach.

Also note, if you have adequate memory of 512Mb say, your PC will rarely use the pagefile anyway.

I don't have any particular reason to do this. I just read a bit about partition strategies and it seem like many think it's a good idea. just thought I'll try it out.
But I can't figure out how to tell the OS to use the particular space I made for the pagefile. In the virtual memory settings I see how to set the size of the pagefile for different drives but nothing that will make the OS use the partition I want it to.

System Properties->Advanced->Perfomance->Settings->Advanced->Virtual memory->Change

:blush: I know I'm stupid here but should I make so that there is no pagefile on C and only on the partition I want? If the OS is on C won't it think that there is no pagefile at all?
please excuse my ignornce....

Just tell XP you want your pagefile on the drive (or partition) you want, and none anywhere else. Set allow system to control the size. You then reboot and it will be there, no problem. Sometimes you have to pysically delete the old file pagefile.sys on C:, and to do this you will have to set all file types visible, and be an administer for the system. If it won't go, start XP in safe mode (press F8 several times during startup).

you will find the page file pointer in the registery files
if the normal process fails which sometimes does
do search cause I'm getting old and don't remember where it's at
and gbhall said it ,you will see a proformance drop when adding partitions later
or new drive
I know cause I did it and put it back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back