Setting Up 2 Completely Separate Networks

I have 2 routers. One connected to internet and one not. I am attempting to set up an intranet (so to speak). I do not want these 2 routers to be connected to each other. They should be 2 totally separate entities. The main router is built into the Google Fiber modem, the second router is a Netgear WGT624 v2. I have a usb ethernet port connected to my desktop computer for the Netgear Router. I can see both networks on the desktop but the Netgear is not being assigned an IP address. With no IP address I cannot access the router to configure it. Can somone please explain to me how to assign an IP address to the network router?

Thanks in advanced.

OK, we need a manually configured TCP for the second router.
You do understand, that the DNS settings will be an issue and any access from the systems attached to it will have issues with URLS and perhaps even system names.

Another design issue: how similar or dissimilar do you want the Netgear to be from the primary Internet? Most of us have LAN networks related to the 192.168.x.y subnet.
You could use addresses like that or 172.16.x.y or 10.x.y.z. For clarity when on the isolated network, I suggest anything other than the addresses you already see from IPCONFIG
on any existing pc

First, connect
Google Fiber modem(any LAN port) ==>(the WAN port) Netgear WGT624

Second, connect one system Netgear WGT624==>PC (be sure this pc has no other internet access). You will find the Netgear to default to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1,
so use that default as a URL to access the router config.

Perform all the config you want (eg wifi, remote admin, admin password) and save that configuration.

Then prepare the TCP configuration for the Netgear:
On the LAN side config
  • set the router address: 172.16.1.1 (for example)
  • set the MASK: 255.255.255.0
  • enable DHCP service for the range 172.16.1.2-172.16.1.250
On the WAN side
  • set the Internet ISP be static (defaults all to 0.0.0.0 which should be ok)
  • set the DNS address to the same choice as the router itself
  • set the secondary DNS to x.y.254 (nothing to be attached here)
Save the configuration (should reboot; do so it not)

you will loose the current connection, so access the router again using the NEW default you gave it and the new admin pwd.

If you can log into the router at the new address, you're done.

Disconnect Google Fiber modem ==> Netgear and connect
USB device => Netgear
All devices down stream from the Netgear should have addresses like 172.16.1.x
and be able to ping one another.

Back