Setting up my hotmail account in thunderbird

By maxglover1989
May 22, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hi, could anyone tell me how to set up my hotmail account within mozilla thunderbird, iv tried most things that other people have said in other forums, is there anything i am missing?
  2. maxglover1989

maxglover1989 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 57

iv downloaded the two extensions needed to run a hotmail account and installed them
  3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,067   +13

cannot be done in 2.0

earlier versions required a go between program

hotmail no longer allows exporting in free accounts.
  4. maxglover1989

maxglover1989 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 57

i figured out how to do it, uing the extensions makes it straight forward its just when it asks you for the username provided by the ISP you need to put in your hotmail account, mines up and running fine, just needed to adjust my avg settings and turned off email scanner, as this made the connection time out all sorted now
  5. Tedster

perhaps there is a new extension. Can you tell us how you did it?
  6. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,490   +73

You can tie the thumberbird into a server folder like you can do with Outlook 2007. I use both email clients at the same time. Works great from my ISP.
  7. Tedster

tried it - didn't work. Do you have a step by step instruction?
  8. tipstir

Inbox - Thunderbird - Account Settings

Click on Tools

Under Account Settings
    Create add you want

server settings:

example: tedster@techspot.com

POP incoming mail
    server name: pop account.hotmail.com (info from ISP or hotmail)
    user name

Local Directory
    Local Directory \\server\mail\Local folders the server (this is what ever you do don't store files on the HDD of the local PC, the above is what I do using server PC.

Local folders

Local directory (\\server\mail\pop account.hotmail.com (inbox is store in this folder)
    SMTP (outgoing mail) the one you send to someone

Tell you it was a bit tricky to get all this to work like Outlook 2007 with PST. But it works. If you need more help I'll posting images.
  9. tipstir

10. Tedster

great. Finally fiddled with both downloads and got hotmail to work. A little cumbersome. The instructions on the website are not very clear.
  11. tipstir

Great tedster you finally got it working! Yes I know Thunderbird isn't that easy to configure. Once you do it a couple of times it works.The extra Web Server/Client is a bonus. Just to let you know know NOD32 AV and ESET Smart Security Business Edition and I guess also the Home/Pro will scan the incoming/outgoing email even though it's not mentioned.
  12. Tedster

I use norton corporate to scan emails, I get it free from work. I noticed a few quicks when downloading emails from hotmail into TB - sometimes you have to be logged into hotmail or you will get a "bad vibes error" from hotmail.... weird...
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.