Setting up port forwarding help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
My laptop is connected wirelessly to the router on the main pc, the router is a dlink di-624, and my isp is virgin media. I'm sorting the settings in bitcomet on my laptop and it says I need to set up port forwarding on my router. I've read up how to do it, but the problem is online instructions say you need to set up a static ip first and I'm having problems doing that. I rang virgin media for the dns servers and all they told me was that setting up a static ip would stop my internet working and I must have dhcp? enabled, but that doesn't help me. I tried a google search and somebody posted some dns servers but when I used those and set up port forwarding it came up with the message "port range conflict with bitcom1". I don't know what to try now.

Thanks for the help, tried setting it up on the current ip and get the message, "port range conflict with bitcom1". , and it still shows as listen port blocked on bitcomet.

let's talk addresses;
consider this layout
Code:
isp(G)---(a)modem---yourRouter(b)-----(c)yourSystems
The gateway to your ISP is address G and the isp assigns (static or dhcp) address (a) to your service.

Once yourRouter is wired in, it presents itself (to your systems) as address(B).
Then yourRouter uses its internal DHCP to assign addresses to yourSystems(c,d,...)

Some routers have a feature MAC filtering -- especially WiFi routers.
When this is done correctly in the router firmware, it gives you TWO features:
1- no unknown MAC can access your router
2- known MACs are mapped to FIXED IP ADDRESSES

This makes your system act as if it has a static ip address :) and your port forward
can reliably forward to a constant IP address.

Now if your router will not map a given MAC to a fixed IP address, you just fake it
for yourself by setting the IP parms manually (this many be challenging on a WiFi
but easy on a wired NIC).

Your ISP sees nothing beyond yourRouter, not even the (b) address :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back