Setting up wireless router as switch

Is the following network scheme possible? The reason I want to do this is I have a A/V receiver with network functions but its Wi-Fi connection is spotty. I'm thinking if a more reliable router handled the Wi-Fi connection it may work better.
network diagram.png

Alternatively, is it worth trying to dedicate an IP to my receiver's MAC address for more reliable connection?

Last edited:
So this depends on the hardware to accomplish. It is possible yes but there are usually better options. If a direct ethernet link is not possible the second best choice is ethernet over powerline. To connect the two routers consider an ethernet over power line adapter as each wireless hop with WDS reduces throughput by half. That being said it is possible to connect 2 routers using the wireless with WDS as long as they are both from the same brand and both devices support it. There is no standard for WDS so each vendor does it differently. As far as the IP of the receiver if you are connecting to it with other devices, then yes a static IP will make it easier to connect to. There are a lot of choices on how to accomplish this but wireless links between routers should be a last resort.

Hmm; I have the EoP solution but never use the WPS connection and thus have full bandwidth to the remote router.

Thanks for the input!

Fortunately I didn't have to change any hardware.... I assigned an IP to the receiver and it hasn't lost wi-fi since.

Back