Setup did not detect disk drive....

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI all,
So i've read the other threads on this topic, and it seems that I need to get the SATA driver, but I don't know from where! My problem is that I'm trying to reinstall XP; when I get to the first screen it does not detect my hard drive. I have a Maxtor 6y250m0 hard drive. Any tips??

Tip: read the threads again and pay attention? :p

Your motherboard maker supplies the drivers. If you are lucky, then your motherboard/computer came with a driver floppy already and you don't have to download/make one.

nybelle said:
I have a Maxtor 6y250m0 hard drive. Any tips??

It might be worth mentioning that drivers have nothing to do with your particular hard drive. You need drivers for your drive controller... The device your hard drive plugs into.

Well, actually the SATA controller is made by Silicon Image :)

But yes, you should fetch all the drivers Intel offers for that motherboard on their webpage. (And pray that they actually bother to supply a utility for creating the driver diskette)

nybelle said:
HI all,
So i've read the other threads on this topic, and it seems that I need to get the SATA driver, but I don't know from where! My problem is that I'm trying to reinstall XP; when I get to the first screen it does not detect my hard drive. I have a Maxtor 6y250m0 hard drive. Any tips??

YOU DON"T NEED ADDITIONAL SATA DRIVERS TO BOOT AND DETECT A SATA HARD DRIVE!!!

Just make sure your systems bios has been set SATA ROM Enabled, and your boot type is set for SATA and not IDE. If you are using a add on SATA controller card, you may have to select a SCSI boot device in the bios

Unfortunately, I work in a lab at a university, where nothing is kept past a week. This computer is about 3 years old...

Some people need to start reading threads they respond to..
/me glares at Tmagic and rik

TS was having problems yesterday because of the server according to Diablo and i was unable to see Nybelle's edit to post #4!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back