Setup with 1TB harddrive and fast 250GB SSD

Jskid

I bought a 250 GB Samsung Evo SSD 840 for my desktop (850 isn't available in Canada yet). I'm running Windows 7 but am considering upgrading to Windows 8 or Ubuntu (or dualboot/vmware). My work is technical and to keep up with the times I am considering Windows 8, though I don't have a touchscreen. I am not sure the kind of configuration to use and am open to ideas. The current hard drive I have is a slow 1TB one. I was planning on setting up the SSD as a cache.

EDIT: my motherboard is Asus p8z68-v le

Last edited:
I would not recommend setting up a cache at all with that large capacity SSD. Usually people cache with 64GB SSDs, but in your case, you might as well just migrate data to the SSD and use the HDD for bulk storage (large files).

I would echo @JC713 suggestion. Make the 250 EVO SSD as the OS boot and applications drive and use the conventional 1TB drive as a storage drive.

Ok, I've got it working but couldn't figure out how to screw the adapter into the case. I screwed the SSD into the 3.5" to 2.5" adapter but the adapter itself is just sitting clumsily in a bay in the front of the case. I can't find any screw holes? The original hard drive appears to be secured somehow (when I pull on it it doesn't budge) but I can't see where it was secured.
DSC_0563.JPG DSC_0561.JPG DSC_0562(1).JPG
Sorry the pictures aren't very good, I had trouble fitting the camera in the case. Let me know if there needs to be more. Also how do you clean the dust out? I tried vacuuming and using a tissue paper but it's basically stuck on.

1) I wouldn't worry about screwing it to the bay. As long as it is sitting in its place, there is no need to secure it if you cannot find where to mount it (maybe @St1ckM4n can back me up on this?). That is the nice thing about SSDs, there are no moving parts so you don't have to worry about it moving around a lot and getting damaged.

2) Check out this article on how to clean the inside of your PC.

Back