TechSpot

Sharing a monitor over Lan

By taimuraly
Jun 28, 2008
  1. Well the title says it all. I have two pcs, one is connected to the monitor while the other is not. I want to know if it is possible to use the other pc without buying any new hardware, without bying one of those switch things and defintley without buying a new monitor. I know I can share my keyboard and mouse over Lan using Synergy but how can I share my montior. (I need to share the monitor becasue I want to see the desktop of the other Pc). All comments are greatly appreciated.:)

2. fastco

fastco TS Rookie Posts: 1,511

Read this it might help! Never tried it personally.

3. mewi

mewi TS Rookie Posts: 86

Well there is an option such as "Remote Desktop" for Windows XP Professional ( not sure if home edition ) and you can use this to see your other computer's desktop. You can also use various programs such as... VNC? I think it was called.

4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

In my opinion, the best solution for Windows would be UltraVNC ( www.uvnc.com ) and/or Remote Desktop (RDP). But it doesn't really share a monitor as much as it shares the entire computer.

5. taimuraly

taimuraly TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 120

Thank you all. I will be downloading UltraVNC (its free and looks promising) and will also be posting my expierence soon. Cheers

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.