Sharing a router connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, looked around for an answer but couldnt quite find what I need.

Basically I have just realized that I need two computers on my desk for work, my main computer (PC#1) connects to the router via a 10 meter long cable. Due to the fact that we have 3 other computers at home the 4 port router is full. So my problem is, I cant connect PC#2 on my desk to the internet.

One possible solution was to buy a router with more ports and connect a 12 meter cable underground but that would prove to be difficult.

PC#1 has two ethernet cards installed, I've connected one to the router and the other to PC#2

Any suggestions? Assuming it's even possible.

Thanks in advance.

p.s Been reading ICS stuff but none of them really matches my scenario. Configuring PC#1 to host conflicts with router - IP 192.168.0.1. Problem goes away when I changed IP of router, but when I enabled both ethernet cards I couldnt access internet from PC#1.

iner.tia said:
Hi guys, looked around for an answer but couldnt quite find what I need.

Basically I have just realized that I need two computers on my desk for work, my main computer (PC#1) connects to the router via a 10 meter long cable. Due to the fact that we have 3 other computers at home the 4 port router is full. So my problem is, I cant connect PC#2 on my desk to the internet.

One possible solution was to buy a router with more ports and connect a 12 meter cable underground but that would prove to be difficult.

PC#1 has two ethernet cards installed, I've connected one to the router and the other to PC#2

Any suggestions? Assuming it's even possible.

Thanks in advance.

p.s Been reading ICS stuff but none of them really matches my scenario. Configuring PC#1 to host conflicts with router - IP 192.168.0.1. Problem goes away when I changed IP of router, but when I enabled both ethernet cards I couldnt access internet from PC#1.

You say 4 port router is full... Time to get 5 or 8-port switch.

You should connect one port to a 8-port switch then have 7 ports for all your PCs on your network

From the router this way you don't overload your router.

I may be misunderstanding but the reason why I did not want to change routers was because it is quite inconvenient to connect PC#2 directly to the router as it requires a 10+ meter underground cable. The cable company installed only one cable when they put the network into place, I'm wondering if there is any way that I could use that one cable for both of my computers on the desk. like maybe connect one of them though the other or something.

thanks.

As tipstir said, get an ethernet switch (or a hub) and connect it in place of your computer #1, then connect #1 and #2 to the switch (hub).

A switch is much preferred over a hub as it reduces traffic to the attached devices.
Therefore, connect a switch to one port of the router and then move as many other
systems OFF the router to the Switch as there are ports available :)

Awesome. Thanks for the help, just a quick note on whether the switch would require any configuration or anything of the sort. I never do networking XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back