Sharing a router connection

By iner.tia
Apr 1, 2008
  1. Hi guys, looked around for an answer but couldnt quite find what I need.

Basically I have just realized that I need two computers on my desk for work, my main computer (PC#1) connects to the router via a 10 meter long cable. Due to the fact that we have 3 other computers at home the 4 port router is full. So my problem is, I cant connect PC#2 on my desk to the internet.

One possible solution was to buy a router with more ports and connect a 12 meter cable underground but that would prove to be difficult.

PC#1 has two ethernet cards installed, I've connected one to the router and the other to PC#2

Any suggestions? Assuming it's even possible.

Thanks in advance.

p.s Been reading ICS stuff but none of them really matches my scenario. Configuring PC#1 to host conflicts with router - IP Problem goes away when I changed IP of router, but when I enabled both ethernet cards I couldnt access internet from PC#1.
  2. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,383   +105

You say 4 port router is full... Time to get 5 or 8-port switch.

You should connect one port to a 8-port switch then have 7 ports for all your PCs on your network

From the router this way you don't overload your router.
  3. iner.tia

iner.tia TS Rookie Topic Starter

I may be misunderstanding but the reason why I did not want to change routers was because it is quite inconvenient to connect PC#2 directly to the router as it requires a 10+ meter underground cable. The cable company installed only one cable when they put the network into place, I'm wondering if there is any way that I could use that one cable for both of my computers on the desk. like maybe connect one of them though the other or something.

4. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

As tipstir said, get an ethernet switch (or a hub) and connect it in place of your computer #1, then connect #1 and #2 to the switch (hub).
  5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,148   +597

A switch is much preferred over a hub as it reduces traffic to the attached devices.
    Therefore, connect a switch to one port of the router and then move as many other
    systems OFF the router to the Switch as there are ports available :)
  6. iner.tia

Awesome. Thanks for the help, just a quick note on whether the switch would require any configuration or anything of the sort. I never do networking XD
  7. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,148   +597

nope; that's the beauty of a switch -- zero configuration!
  8. iner.tia

Beautiful... gimme a hug =D
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.