Sharp announces 85-inch Super Hi-Vision TV, 16x the resolution of 1080p

By Emil
May 20, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Japanese national TV broadcaster NHK (Japan Broadcasting Corporation) and Sharp have jointly developed an 85-inch LCD compatible with Super Hi-Vision, a next-generation television broadcast format. With approximately 33 megapixels, or…

Read the whole story
  2. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 431   +8

VitalyT likes this.
  3. bioflex

bioflex Newcomer, in training Posts: 70

oh how i admire large screens, looks really good and i can only hope to have one of these anytime soon.
  4. @Jibberish18 - Hype? Ummm well if you still watching a standard TV u got to be hurting your eyes...that is sooo blurry...HDTV is like putting on glasses if you have bad vision...that much difference...so it's not hype...If you want hype then try the current 3D TV.
  5. freythman

freythman TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 124   +10

6. Sorry Gibberish.....I see you were quoting the article...ok...article guy that was directed at you
  7. The screen saver scene with the lady and the tree is very beautiful. OK and the tv is fine :)
  8. Steve

Steve TechSpot Staff Posts: 1,325   +424 Staff Member

I want one! hell make it two :)
  9. treetops

treetops TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,658   +57

Dang I wonder how much that sucker costs.
  10. it must be using at least 5 PS3 Cell processors and consumes like 3000 Watts
  11. One of those dreams to never come true.

The technology is not any near to be marketed, its update frequency sucks.

If I ever swap a 240Hz HD TV panel for something else, it will be not less than the same frequency.

By today's standards 60Hz update is from stone age. They badly need to increase the update rate to at least 2 times.

Panasonic has been selling 400Hz panels for 2 years now, these come with a 60Hz panel, oh please,...keep at black & white while you're at it...

We are now living pass compromises in TV quality.

12. mattfrompa

mattfrompa TechSpot Maniac Posts: 481   +8

You really get a feel for 33 mega pixels at 360p :p
    But seriously, put a high quality HD tv and put the same blu ray on that and a high quality SD tv, or THEN tell me you don't get the hype about HD. It's something that once you make the switch, you'll wonder how you did without.
    SO will you be willing to find a card that can output 7,680 x 4,320?
  13. Jesse

Jesse TechSpot Staff Posts: 368   +39

Good question, Treetops. I wonder when they will be available to consumers.
  14. Jesse

Jesse TechSpot Staff Posts: 368   +39

The 400 and 600hz on Plasma TVs is not the same as the 60/120/240hz refresh rates on LCD's.
  15. To be fair going from 480p to 1080p is an incremental improvement, not the massive revolution it's been marketed as over the years. The difference is clearly noticeable, but not massive. There are more significant factors affecting image quality.
  16. stewi0001

stewi0001 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 308   +18

Emil, there is a difference trust me (or don't)

I still do not care for the 3D TVs since they probably mess up your vision and it's not great (yet)
  17. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,578   +863

I still won't buy anything from Sharp, period.
  18. p51d007

p51d007 TechSpot Booster Posts: 309   +41

These 80+ inch tv's are the equivalent of the middle age balding guy who gets a vette.
    Hey, it's your money, but I don't get it. Heck, I spend so much time in front of the computer, I just said screw it and put a tv tuner in the computer and keep it in a tiny window, more for the noise value than the picture. If I want to see something on the big screen, I'll go to the movies.
  19. Yes, the refresh rate of 600Hz on a plasma is not equivalent to 240Hz on the LCD. Plasma has an almost instantaneous refresh rate (so even without the "600Hz" marketing spec, no LCD will ever come close).

Panasonic subdivides their plasma display panels into 10 sub-fields. Each sub-field is refreshed at a 60 Hz rate. 10 sub-fields refreshed at 60 Hz (10 x 60 = 600) produces a 600 Hz sub-field drive figure.

Is a 600 Hz sub-field drive better for fast motion? NO. It neither helps nor hurts fast motion on a plasma display panel. Plasma pixels switch at 1 micro-second; thousands of times faster than the fastest LCD response time. Because of this speed difference, a plasma TV operates different than a LCD TV and, therefore, does not produce the motion blur and jitter produced by a LCD display panel. Plasma TVs do NOT need 120 Hz refresh rates to compensate for these motion artifacts because they do not produce these motion artifacts.

This monitor is very nice though. If only they made a SuperAMOLED or a Plasma screen with acceptable power consumption with those specs. LCD/LED need not apply.
  20. Listen to this sony troll,yeah right its using cell from '06,go troling some where alse noob
  21. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,265   +41

Man this is going to look cool on my rich *** wall! All kidding aside this is huge.
  22. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,887   +85

I think I can get you an answer to that Matt. I' going to downsample Crysis to that res and see what happens.

send us some screen caps super, although you're going to need Google Earth to take them :p
  23. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 389   +35

Wow, that is a lot of pixels! 1080p is pretty sharp, and depending on the quality of the lens and camera used, with 1080p video it is difficult to find flaws in a picture. With a 4320p TV, not much bigger than your average 50" TV... that will be one crisp picture. Only problem now is having a lens and camera that is capable of taking advantage of the 4320p resolution. Then what about gaming? Todays top of the line graphics card would come to a crawl trying to output this resolution (with proportionately sized textures, not upscaling current texture sizes...) at an acceptable framerate.

And I can't believe the writer of this article doesn't see what the advantage of HDTV is... Either you haven't seen proper 1080p video or your blind as a bat. However one of the major problems is people sit too far from their TV. The human eye can't see the detail of 1080p resolutions on a 50" screen beyond about 3 meters or so, and thats with 20/20 vision. There is an optimal viewing distance for each sized and resolution TV. My 37" 1080p optimal distance is almost 2 meters before I can no longer distinguish the crispness of each pixel.
  24. TrekExpert

TrekExpert TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 104

I would love to have 3 of these for surround gaming :)
  25. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,578   +863

Wow! Just think, then you'd never have to eat or s*** again.......! :grinthumb

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.