TechSpot

Shift keys not working

By bellodee
Mar 20, 2010
  1. Hello,
    I have a problem with my shift keys. neither of them works which is frustrating because to capitalise I have to hit the caps lock and unlock when I have finished. i cannot type the 'at' symbol for instance so when i need it i have to cut and paste. i think it is software rather than hardware or am i wrong. please help

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,981   +168

What is the Dell model number, desktop, laptop? When I search Dell 1100 I get a laser printer

3. CAMusing

CAMusing TS Enthusiast Posts: 328

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,981   +168

Left off the word "Inspiron"... Did you recently install any updates or programs?

5. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,361   +52

Dell's do, as a rule, have a set of hardware test programs - consult your manual as to where they are - can be to press a certain key during boot, or can be on a supplied CD.

When you find them, choose the one that tests your keyboard. This should/will tell you if the key is stuck. If you cannot find the test programs, try Dell support website.

If it turns out the key does not register, get a can of compressed air, ask someone to hold the switched-off laptup upsite down over your head and give it a good rogering with the air-can. One of your weeks-old lunches might fall out....actually, I spot your point about 'both of them', but Dell support should be able to advise about re-installing whatever keyboard driver is involved, as a test.

PS a quick search of the Dell forum comes up with the same problem going back to 2005, on a variety of laptops. No solutions appear to be posted. What is notable is all cases mention that both shift-keys fail. Bit suspicious really. Worth raising a compliant with Dell - and is it still under warranty?

6. bellodee

bellodee TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 54

Thanks very much and my apologies for not giving more info on my laptop. It is a Dell Inspiron 1100 running on XP. The fact that is seems to be a common Dell problem is a bit worrying. My laptop is old and well out of warranty but i guess I'll try Dell and see what they say. I have run the Dell diagnostics software and it reports the keyboard as normal. I'll post again when I 've talked to Dell.
    Thanks

7. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,361   +52

Too right. I searched the Dell forum for 'shift key fail' and got 7,424 hits !!!

I suspect you will have no joy, as it is possibly the keyboard chip which has failed. As an alternative, how about plugging-in a standard (or usb) keyboard and mouse. You can get pretty light and compact ones. Also much easier to use than the laptop keyboard !!

Maybe even a wireless keyboard/mouse set would be good. Personally, I hate using a laptop for reasons of both keyboard and mouse useability.

8. bellodee

bellodee TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 54

You were right. No joy from Dell. I've managed the laptop like that for a while so I'll have to carry on until I get a new one as it is due for replacement anyway; as I mentioned it is old. Why dont they make them like washing machines or TV's which last for ever?!!

Thanks

9. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,395   +169

While keyboard may well have just failed (so trying another) is a good test

But you might also try:
    > Hold down the right Shift key for about 15 seconds. Do you get a FilterKeys window pop-up?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.