Should I go for a Intel or AMD processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I am new to this site thing.. I am an IT student and I use my computer a lot for general use and on the internet so I do a lot of multi tasking. Which CPU would be more beneficial and why?

I am just wondering if I should go for the Intel or an AMD...????

Thank you heaps :eek:

ITgal xxx

OOPS sorri just been reading the previous post about this...Got the info I need thank you!

I would defently go with amd, but what's your price range?

A lack of knowledge is a a burden

I am gung-ho for AMD, but if you are going to be doing a lot of multi-tasking, I think an Intel would be better for you. Just get one with hyperthreading. What is your price range?

well im kinda new to this..im only just learning how to build a computer from scratch and so im not sure with price range yet...just browsing to see whats out there...what price would you suggest just for a personal PC..not using for high spec gaming just the occasional game...like i still want it to be able to play the new games without struggling..haha if ya know what i mean

What about $1000? If that's to high, you can probably get by with $700-800. Say $200 for a processor, $150 for a case and PSU, $75 for a mobo, $75 for a hard drive, $100 for ram, $50 for a optical drive, and $150 for a video card. That's a total of $800. It will be good for gaming, and any sort of multitasking. It will run anything. Let me know what you need! Good Luck!

By the way, the processor crossfire recomended is good, but $300. If you can pay $900 instead of $800, it's probably the best way to go. Let me know how much money you can spend, and I'll get you a list of parts. Good Luck!

lol, the relatively-new age old question: Intel/AMD?

AMD seems to be overtaking intel in terms of their performance. And price. And efficiency. Which is why all the replies are pro-AMD.

I'm not pro-Intel, although my comps are all Intel. Just that they're bought before AMD became so good :p

Anyway, depending on what you do with the comp, the parts you'll be interested in will change. Multitasking can mean running alot of IE's (Or firefox/opera/netscape/wtv), while chatting on MSN with the music blaring in the background. It would help to have multicore and hypertrading and stuff, but in reality, all these programs don't eat up a heck lot of processing power. Which means you probably can save yourself some money getting a lower end processor.

More RAM also helps, but research shows more than 1gb is rarely needed.

Games these days depend more on the GC, so spend what you think is right there. Another headache there: nVidia/ATI? (the nVidia 6600 seems like good value for money)

For the individual parts needed, someone else would have to help you there. Just wanna tell you what your priorities might be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back