Should I worry about this RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrix86

I recently bought a Kingston 2Gb (2x1Gb) RAM. It was DDR 400 (PC3200)...but when I put it into my computer, the system only read DDR 333 (PC2700). So instead of having 400MHz computer speed (which I ordered and the package DOES say 400MHz), I got 333MHz. Is it really worth the hassle dealing with Kingston to get the DDR400? It's all the same price, but I want my computer to run at its max.

Before this, I had 1 stick of 275MB RAM, 400MHz, so I do have a faster computer. But being picky, I expected the 400MHz computer speed that I ordered. Does the extra 67MHz really make that big of a difference?

Dig up the instructions for your motherboard, The computers "BIOS" may not be set correctly to detect (or run ) the new RAM at it's published speed. Barring a gross packing error, (which I've never seen), Kingston RAM is quite decent and reliable and most likely isn't the cause or your problem.

RAM not running at the published speed is usually the result of BIOS settings, (voltage and/or RAM clock speed), and sometimes the motherboard's inability to provide theses conditions. This is called "incompatibility", but in your case since it's just running a tad slow, it might just be the BIOS settings I mentioned. RAM chips "clock themselves down" to the prevailing buss speed.

You have not provided us your computers specs, so we can't even make an educated guess as to what to tell you to do.

Meanwhile, there doesn't seem to be anything to worry about. The truth is that a sizable increase in the amount of RAM installed in a machine should produce a greater overall increase in performance than to have the same amount run slightly faster. This would be noticed most in activities such as DVD burning, image editing, and cruising the internet with 50 tabs or so open in Firefox. I do it all the time, so what?

If you don't read this thread about installing and upgrading RAM, you'll hurt the Tedster's feelings. So, I'd consider it a personal favor if you would; https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic65114.html

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 with a Pentium 4 2.80 Ghz CPU, an Intel 82865 G\PE\P processor and a I/O controller 2570. I had read on another forum that this computer will not allow any changing in the BIOS section for memory. It automatically downclocks DDR400 to DDR333 because that's all Intel will allow for this system (all of a sudden, making my own computer aint lookin so bad, lol). So i'm just stuck with DDR333. No biggie. It sure as hell beats the 254 or whatever Mb I had before. Thanks anyways. Sorry I didn't post my specs before. I'll be sure to do that from now on if I have any more questions.

I It automatically downclocks DDR400 to DDR333 because that's all Intel will allow for this system (all of a sudden, making my own computer aint lookin so bad, lol). So i'm just stuck with DDR333. No biggie. It sure as hell beats the 254 or whatever Mb I had before. Thanks anyways. Sorry I didn't post my specs before. I'll be sure to do that from now on if I have any more questions.
Intels MATX size boards from this time period generally have a slower FSB frequency than their full size ATX counterparts with the same chipset. I have an Intel 915GAG (MATX) and it's FSB is 533Mhz, while it's counterpart ATX board 915GAV runs up to 800Mhz. The P4 you have is probably a 533 Mhz (or lower FSB ) and the 333Mhz RAM is as much as you can expect fron this configuation. Your computer model also may have been sold with a downgraded Celeron CPU option, and I think the FSB speeds of those chips were slower still.
Be happy, a bunch more RAM does a lot more good than a slight bump up of speed.

Intels MATX size boards from this time period generally have a slower FSB frequency than their full size ATX counterparts with the same chipset. I have an Intel 915GAG (MATX) and it's FSB is 533Mhz, while it's counterpart ATX board 915GAV runs up to 800Mhz. The P4 you have is probably a 533 Mhz (or lower FSB ) and the 333Mhz RAM is as much as you can expect fron this configuation. Your computer model also may have been sold with a downgraded Celeron CPU option, and I think the FSB speeds of those chips were slower still.
Be happy, a bunch more RAM does a lot more good than a slight bump up of speed.

This is exactly the answer I was looking for. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back