SimCity sequel to be announced next week at GDC, concept art leaked

Jos

Staff

A new iteration of Maxis' city-building and urban planning game SimCity is reportedly in the works and set for an official reveal at next week's Game Developers Conference (GDC) in San Francisco. Although still early in development and not expected to see the light of day until sometime in 2013, anticipation for the next SimCity is already building up after alleged concept art of the game turned up in online forums.

In a brief interview with German magazine GameStar, Maxis executive Lucy Bradshaw confirmed development of the game is underway, noting that work on Spore and The Sims had kept the company from revealing it sooner. She talked up the game's AI and features like updatable buildings and nonlinear road patterns. The game will also offer a multiplayer mode, allowing players to collaborate with other Mayors on commerce and other issues, while a global leaderboard shows ranking for things like economics or production of raw materials.

sim city

The upcoming release, simply named SimCity, will run on a new engine called Glassbox, which besides the improved graphics allows users to pan in close enough to read the signs on stores or zoom out for an overhead view. The game is reportedly only 30% done, so no screenshots are available yet. EA is set to present a session at GDC titled "Inside the GlassBox" that will highlight the technology behind "the next entry in one of its most beloved franchises", so perhaps they'll offer a glimpse at what to expect.

SimCity is being developed without series creator Will Wright leading the project but it will apparently remain faithful to the classic game formula. Maxis developed the first SimCity game in 1989. The last major release in the series was SimCity 4, which debuted on PC and Mac in 2004.

sim city

More concept art images for the next SimCity game are available in this thread at Neogaf.

Permalink to story.

I truly hope this is true. I have been an avid fan of SimCity since the first SimCity when I got it at 8 years old.

It broke my heart after SimCity 4 and hearing that there wouldn't (probably) be another SimCity.

I loved SimCity 4, but since Windows 7 I haven't been able to play it due to it not working correctly with 64-bit and all the graphical artifacts (was not the video cards, Dual EVGA GTX260 Core 216 cards).

Maxis, I really hope you will do your best to make this the best SimCity yet. Also, please keep the multiple region/city interconnections (like in SimCity 4) in the new SimCity. That, in my opinion, was one of the best things about SimCity 4, even more than being able to drive the vehicles around town.

I want Maxis to really take their time on the development of this game. I'm more than happy to wait for as long as it takes for a well made SimCity game.

I love just about every game in The Sims series, especially Sim Golf and Sim City. I just can't bring myself to buy a game published by EA anymore...I'd still like to see this be a good game, no use having crap games bloat up the market. Maybe I'll pick it up for $10 a year after it comes out.

The Sim City franchise has always been my favorite of the Sim titles. I am really looking forward to this

It sounds like they are pretty much ignoring the existence of Simcity Societies, which is probably good. Simcity 4 was a great game, but Societies wasn't very good. Hopefully that means the new game will be more like Simcity 4.

I've played Sim City, Sim City 2000, and whatever the next one was (3000?). Whatever came after 2000 got too complicated for me. I think the sweet spot was 2000. Hopefully this one brings back some of the greatness of 2000 without making it having a big learning curve.

Hope we can start where they left us. Hope it will have an option to load the old games saved city profile so i can see my abandoned grand mega gadam city in 3D and take it from there.

Back