Sims 2 w/ NVIDIA FX 5500 PCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatman05

Hey, guys. Would the Sims 2 run on an NVIDIA FX 5500 PCI graphics card (My comp doesn't have an AGP slot)? In the requirements, it doesn't mention an FX 5500...

Yeah it should work, I also play the sims 2 a lot and got a fx 5500 I dont use the card anymore though becuase it didnt work right with my power supply and everything, so make sure you have a 250 or more watt more supply

Oh, I got a 250W supply....but I have 2HDs (Both 40gig @5400RPM), a SoundBlaster 24Bit card, a PCI 56K v.92 modem, a 52x32x52 CD-RW Drive, and a Floppy drive. Now, would all of that be able to run on a 250W PSU?

Not sure but my system has a 230watt and its a p4w/ht, 1 hd, wireless card, dvd bruner, you know all the normal stuff nothing added extra really and it didnt have enough power for the card but I took it to a computer shop twice and they said thats not the problem...But it is. The reason I didnt put a new power supply in is becuase dell said it will overpower and ruin the system and that shop offers a guarantee on all work and others dont so I though that would be better so I dont risk ruining my computer. The shop tells me it wont do damage to the system but dell claims it does but anyways I think you should upgrade the power supply, maybe someone else on tech spot can tell you otherwise but mine didnt run right and I think 250 is the min but since you have an off board sound card and an added hard drive thats extra power usageand a floppy too my system doesnt even have a floppy. Heck it doesnt even hve ps/2 ports but thats a different story. So I think it would be smart to get a 400 watt power supply that should work just fine. or even a 350 watt. But if its genric that 400-500 watt or name brand like antec, thermaltake then 350watt

Actually, It as a Keyboard and mouse PS2 port, 6 USB ports, an LPT1 port (disabled in bios), and 2 serial ports (both disabled in BIOS). It runs Windows XP, and is System #1 in my profile :D

Your grandma has a better computer then you? :haha:

Yes, the Sims 2 will run good on a nVidia 5500 ( even integrated cards could run that game ) because it has atleast SM1.0+ and will improve performance ;)

its strange how there starting to phase out ps/2 ports, and going with usb my new dell sstem has now serial ports, no ps2, no parrallel everything is usb now I mean everything, I didnt even know they made usb keyboards untill I got this system, I seen now that there starting to usb speakers that usb usb and you dont need a soundcard so I guess next were going to have no sound cards thats going to suck

Why is not having a sound card suck?

It frees up a PCI ( unless you use Onboard / integrated ) so you can have more room for something else

Still everything is usb which means you cant use any of your older devices unless you get an adaptor and thats for each different type of connector, well there hardly is no printers on the makret that use parrell but there still is a lot of keyboards and mouses that use ps/2 and there isnt much of a varity of styles with usb keyboards and mouses

If you're thinking about buying a 5500/5700 series FX, I'd strongly urge against it. Those are terrible, terrible cards.

If you're strapped to PCI slots only, you may wish to instead consider the X1300 PCI or Geforce 6200 PCI.

One of the main reasons that the majority of computer shops don't see low powered psu's as a problem is that they don't specialize in gaming. They look at a psu as either functioning or broken. Many of them couldn't even tell you the difference in graphics cards.

Sharkfood said:
If you're thinking about buying a 5500/5700 series FX, I'd strongly urge against it. Those are terrible, terrible cards.

If you're strapped to PCI slots only, you may wish to instead consider the X1300 PCI or Geforce 6200 PCI.

I'm not a fan of ATI, and I heard that the NVIDIA 6200 has video playback problems. I'm not a hardcore gamer (F.E.A.R, Counterstrike, etc.) so the 5500 does good enough for me. I wanted a FX 5500 because the 845G sucks, and even with the memory upgrade, the integrated graphics didn't go any faster. If anything, it made me realize that I needed to upgrade the GFX card.

Well, a 5500 will absolutely destroy integrated video.. so from your standpoint, you'll be getting a nice, measurable upgrade. :)

Is that an Intel GMA 950 on that 945G? Those things are total dogs...

greatman05 said:
I'm not a fan of ATI, and I heard that the NVIDIA 6200 has video playback problems.

The ATI Radeon X1300 will be able to play The Sims 2 pretty much on all high settings. The X1300 is better that the 6200, and the 6200 is better than the 5500. I had a GeForce 6200 at one point and I didn't have a problem with playback (I had the AGP 4X/8X slot).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back