Slave Drive Partitioning Guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have installed a 200 GB Seagate ATA hard drive as a slave. My master, a 40 GB drive has 4% free space left and I'm running XP Home.

I would like to use the slave drive for photo's, music and data. Having read many of the articles on partitioning I'm still unclear as to the best approach for partitioning a slave drive.

This 200GB drive is listed as healthy and active in disk manager with no current partitions and it hasn't been used because I haven't learned how to use it yet.

I'd appreciate any advice but would mention I am really on the learning curve.
kirkham

In disk manager right click on the disk and select create partition. The sizes are up to you and how you use it.
Suggestion:
Data 40GB
Music 80GB
Photos 80GB

After you have created them they need to be formatted. Choose NTFS.

Having done this transfer your files across from the original disk. Then empty temporary folders and defrag it.

go to seagate website dwnld there disc wizard software utilitys
it will show you through the whole process
it's by far the best out there as it does not leave anything behind.
Just an opinion from a seagte fan

When I right click on the drive there is no command listed to create a partition, but there is a command to delete a partition.

When I originally installed the drive a few months ago I used the Seagate disk wizard and got it set up with no partitions (not knowing what I was doing). I haven't been able to get the Seagate disk wizard open again even though I re-downloaded it. The Seagate tech support didn't haven't any solutions for this problem. Thanks

If it says delete partition, you already have a partition created, it should also say what size the partion is and what file system it is in, either NTFS or FAT32.

Kirkham said:
When I right click on the drive there is no command listed to create a partition, but there is a command to delete a partition.
You have at least one partition. Delete them all and then follow my previous post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back