Slow computer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxzachxx

My computer has been running decently lately but still not as quick as when I first got it (naturally)..Im also running vista. But anyways , today all of a sudden it started acting sluggish. I am not sure yet if it's a virus or some other problem. I am doing the 8 steps right now and will post the logs as soon as im done.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• mbam-log-2009-09-09 (06-31-30).txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 5
  • hijackthis.log
    10.9 KB · Views: 5
There are many reason for a computer to be slow- malware is only one of them. Nothing can be done though without more information.

alright i posted my logs.. the computer is seemingly slower today. Super anti spyware picked up some malware but they were only cookies (to my knowledge they aren't too big of a deal) .. avast didn't come across anything, that could be good or bad. Anyways now that I have the logs up hopefully I can get some help

We cannot offer much help until you tell us the brand, model, operating system, hardware configuration and age of the computer... It can be as simple as a corrupted connection, failing hard drive, defective memory, bad component such as floppy drive or optical drive, even if not being used, modem (even if not being used), dirty cooling fans, dirty CPU thermal paste, bad connection to the internet, corrupt software, corrupted internet connection...

Tell us brand and model of everything...

ok heres the info on the comp

Operating system: Windows vista home premium
Toshiba satellite a205
Processor: Intel celeron 540 @ 1.9 ghz
Memory: 2038 mb ram
Page file: 1418 mb used 2906 mb available
Display : Mobile Intel 965 express Chipset family with 358 mb memory
Computer is only about a year old

let me know if you need any more info

Unfortunately, there are no malware helpers around.

But I will offer some "non-malware" help:

Go to Start> Run> type in msconfig> enter> Selective Startup> Startup menu> UNCHECK everything except the AV, the touchpad process for the laptop and firewall if you have a third party firewall> click on Apply> OK.

Reboot the computer. You will get a nag message that you can ignore and close after checking 'don't show this message again.

Then go to the Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs> Uninstall any programs you are not using. Do a Google search if you don't know what program any name is for.

Then remove the temporary internet files:

TFC (Temp File Cleaner)

Download TFC to your desktop
  • Open the file and close any other windows.
  • It will close all programs itself when run, make sure to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. The program should not take long to finish its job
  • Once its finished it should reboot your machine, if not, do this yourself to ensure a complete clean

TFC only cleans temp folders. TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail. TFC requires a reboot immediately after running. Be sure to save any unsaved work before running TFC.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder.

Empty the Recycle Bin.

Something to be aware of: Toshiba preloads a lot of processes most people don't use. They will be both on the Startup menu and in Add/Remove Programs. Delete or uninstall any you aren't using.

This is general computer maintenance. Let me know if you see the difference in speed after doing these things.

Be aware that anything that starts on boot will run in the background. After you surf for a while, you pick up temporary internet files> these use the RAM and you are at minimum RAM for Vista.

You should notice a shorter load time, a shorter shut-down time and a faster surf time.

thanks a lot for the help, the computer does seem to boot up quicker after that!

I'm starting to think that my computer is really infected with malware lately, today it has started to shut off at random and is acting really odd!!

someone please help with this before it shuts off indefinitely

Suggest you heck the dates on threads before offering help. This one is 2 months old. The other one you posted on was 4 months old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back