Slow Internet browsing on new laptop

Embraze

I have a new laptop, a Samsung NP300V5AH, Core i7, 4 GB RAM, 1 GB NVIDIA, and 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium. It works perfectly fine but internet browsing is extremely slow. This is specifically the wireless browsing that's slow. When I connect with a cable, it's much faster. I have a fast internet connection that works great on wireless with my other, even older laptops, but for some reason it's slow on this one. It makes no difference if there are no other devices connected, whether I'm close to the router or not, what the signals are like - it's slow anyways.
I have a Dlink router (DIR-618) and I've called the Dlink people about this but besides minor adjustments in the router settings, they can't do much considering other devices work just fine. I've tried a router reset, to no avail.
I've tried Mozilla and Google Chrome as well, but changing browsers doesn't make a difference either.
I'm running Norton Internet Security 18.7.2.3.

Any help I could get on this would be greatly appreciated.

Is the speeds slow on other wireless connections? Such as a friends or even a public Hot Spot? It could be a problem with your wireless adapter integrated within your laptop. Especially since your hardline connection seems to work fine. That leads me to believe its nothing wrong with your network and the problem lies within your laptop. Make sure it has the proper drivers installed and it isn't malfunctioning in anyway. In WIN7 there is a way to have the OS diagnose any potential problems within a adapter. I recommend trying that as well and reporting back here with the results.

**Edit : Also, try disabling Norton and see if your speeds improve.

Let me know if you are still around and the problem persists. I will give you some places in the system to check.

Thanks a lot! I'm still around and so is the problem. I'm travelling though and won't have my laptop until 10 days later. I will post back here when I'm back and hopefully I can get some help with this.
Would really appreciate it!

I'm back, still have the problem with the laptop. Please let me know what I can do about this.

With regard to that fist reply, disabling Norton doesn't make much of a difference.
Also, the speed is fine when I'm on other networks at different places (like uni, friend's place, etc). That's why I think it's a problem just between my network and this specific laptop considering the laptop is fine on other networks, while other laptops/computers are fine on my home network.

A] Also, the speed is fine when I'm on other networks at different places (like uni, friend's place, etc).
OK, that suggests the laptop is ok and your personal ISP/Router have problems
B] other laptops/computers are fine on my home network.
and this contradicts the above suggesting the laptop is the problem.

Are both A&B using the same connection type, ie: wireless? If one is wired and the other wireless,
then it is your laptop.

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying. The home network is fine with other laptops suggesting there's nothing wrong with it, but on other networks the laptop works fine. The way I see it, it's a problem just between my laptop and my home network. Individually, neither the network not the laptop has a problem. That's why I'm confused.

Yes the same connection type is being used - wireless.

Yes, bizarre. did you manually configure ANYTHING on your home router or the laptop TCP settings?

When you say "slow browsing", what do you mean; slow in connecting to the site(s) or slow to load the page
or slow scrolling?

I didn't manually configure anything. The only time I messed with anything was when I called the Dlink people and they asked me to make some adjustments to the router's wireless settings. It wasn't anything dramatic and made little difference.

I mean slow in connecting and loading. It takes forever to open a page, and very often it doesn't load. I have to refresh several times. Download speeds are fine, it's literally just in browsing. Even sites like Google are slow to respond.

This sounds like a DNS timeout problem.

a) make a connection to your router

b) get a command prompt and enter
ipconfig /all >myTCP.txt

c) come back to this thread and attach the myTCP.txt file

Here's the myTCP.txt and I ran the other Benchmark program and it gave a huge list of conclusions. I don't really understand all of it but it seems to be saying I have the nameserver that's faster than all public alternatives, and that I should be careful about the router. I can attach the conclusions here if it'll help?
It also gave me a list of IP addresses as a result of the test and the instructions suggest the "green donut" as the best one.

Attachments

• myTCP.txt
    3.5 KB · Views: 11
myTCP.txt shows the DNS settings to be that of your router; common, but doesn't help us.
I was hoping to see the DNS you are using but now we know it can only be seen in the router config itself.

seems to be saying I have the nameserver that's faster than all public alternatives, and that I should be careful about the router. I can attach the conclusions here if it'll help?
please. Did you add your DNS
to the list before running the test?

Yeah my DNS is on the list - it's first one with the full green donut.
I've attached the "Conclusions" here. I can also attach the CSV file with the results if needed but it's honestly just a huge list of number (at least to me).
Also, I ran this test when my laptop was the only device connected.

How can I show you the DNS settings I'm using? I can see the router config if that's what you mean.

I'm convinced you're current settings are allowing/causing most of your requests to timeout, causing your bad browsing symptoms.
Conclusions said:
A: More than 20% of resolvers were unreliable?
Such a high percentage is suspicious: As you may have noticed, a relatively large number of the resolvers (59) benchmarked (more than one in every five) had apparent reliability problems. Since this is a suspiciously high number, it is more likely that the local network was busy and congested while the benchmark was running. Since this will produce unreliable timing results, you should probably attempt to re-run the benchmark at a time when the local network is quiet. Until then, you should consider these timing results to be invalid.

B: Only the built-in default resolvers were benchmarked.
Please consider taking the time to create a custom resolver list.
This is a reminder about the tremendous benefits to be gained from benchmarking the "Top 50" resolvers that are found for you by the Benchmark's custom resolver list builder. When you have time, don't forget to give that a try. The results will astound you! You can find the option to do this on either the application's System Menu (Alt-Spacebar) or on the Add/Remove nameservers dialog on the Nameservers page.

C: System has only ONE (router based) nameserver configured.
It appears that only one local (router gateway) DNS nameserver, with the IP address of [192.168.0.1], is currently providing all DNS name resolution services to this system. This configuration is not recommended because most consumer-grade routers provide inefficient and under-powered DNS resolution services.
I would like you to ping these three dns servers
If two or more respond, take the good ones and set them in your router as the DNS servers.
Usually this is found on the WAN side setting; KEEP the DHCP for the IP ADDRESS but use a
manual setting for the DNS.

If you were given a DNS address by your ISP, add it as the THIRD dns value (ie: replace the 209.18.47.61 in the above list).

Once you've changed the settings, restart the router, disconnect your system from it, wait 30 seconds and then reconnect.
Now get a command prompt and test thusly:

nslookup google.com​
nslookup yahoo.com​
nslookup wsj.com​
nslookup thesun.co.uk​

these should all respond with times and not timeout

Alright, how do I "ping" these DNS servers?

Also, I don't see any DNS configuration in my router's WAN settings, but I do see it in the PPPOE settings - manually entering a primary and secondary DNS. Is that where I should put the new ones?

To ping, get a command prompt
run->enter CMD or in win/7 search->enter CMD
ping will take either an ip address eg: 8.8.8.8 or a domain name eg google.com

hmm, if the PPPOE settings give options for DHCP or MANUAL, then yes, that's the correct location.

I did as you asked, and listed two DNS servers - the one from my ISP and the one that responded best from your list. After saving the settings and rebooting, the internet wouldn't connect at all. I could still access the router settings but they also showed the internet as being "unconnected". Testing the websites all came up with requests timed out. I changed back to automatic DNS settings and the internet connected again.
Maybe I'm doing something wrong in the settings. It says if you want to manually enter DNS servers, then you should set it to Static IP, but I kept it as Dynamic like you said. Does that have something to do with it?

So I tried some more combinations of the DNS servers you gave. It did work eventually but without much difference. Then I used that Benchmark software again to build a custom list. It gave me a few DNS servers very close to my ISP's. I then used two of them with my own ISP's DNS as the primary one and it worked perfectly! I did that DNS Spoofability test thing as well and it all seems okay. I think I understand a bit more about this DNS servers business now.
Browsing is super fast now, and my laptop seems to have no issues with it at all.
I think this settles it. Thank you so much for all the help! :D

It gave me a few DNS servers very close to my ISP's. I then used two of them with my own ISP's DNS as the primary one and it worked perfectly!
GREAT :) This confirms that you were suffering from a DNS timeout previously and with better settings you now get no timeouts which created better browser results.

It's perfect :D And, there are no timeouts when I do that nslookup thing with the websites. It responds right away.

Thank you so much :)

Hi :) I've read the entire thread and replies, and I've been having the same problem as embraze... but all this DNS discussion seemed a bit chinese even though I've went through reading them twice. This thread is a bit old, but if anyone is still around can I get a summarized help of what I should do to fix it?
Thank you anyways :)

Back