Small Home netwoking -- Internet works, but can't connect to MSHOME

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a home network that uses a trendnet wireless router and a trendnet wireless repeater. There are three computers that hook up wirelessly to this network. I networked the computers using the Win XP wizard and they were working great together. I had been using the static IP setting for the network since I was sharing a dial-up connection.

I then got high-speed sattelite internet which hooks up through the wan port of the router. I had to change the router to DCHP All the computers are able to access the internet just fine, but I can’t get them to access the workgroup at times or each other at times. Sometimes they access each other, sometimes they don’t. More often then not, they can’t access each other. I have turned off the firewalls and it has done nothing. I pinged all the computers and everything seems to be working there. I have tried to run the home networking wizard, but it doesn’t help. All my file sharing settings are turned on. Sometimes I can’t even access the mshome, other times I can access the mshome and the other computers show up, but I can’t access them. Other times, I can access the computers. I have spent hours and nothing has changed.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

This is a long shot, but I just got a new computer yesterday and put in a wireless PCI NIC and was having similar issues. I ran windows update and deleted some preinstalled crap like Norton Internet Security, and somewhere in the process of all those updates the thing started working flawlessly.

So you might check if there are any non critical windows updates you haven't installed and see if they look like they might be relavent. You could also try to upgrade the drivers for the NIC.

May also be worth looking into any firmware upgrades for your router.

It can be problem known as: Master Browser Problem. Write in google "master browser" and read.
try to access you pc - in windows explorer write:"\\name of the pc you want to access" if you can't access it like this try:"\\ip address of the pc";
If you can't access network pc's with \\name but you can access them with \\ip address it is defenetly master browser problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back