TechSpot

Smoke coming from motherboard, literally

By m0nkamen
Feb 23, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm pretty sure my motherboard is shorted out, but I want to just get a few more opinions before I send it in for replacement. I just built a new system. My motherboard is the Tyan K8W. After I install everything I plug in the PSU, the CPU fans start spinning like they should, but it doesn't power up when I press the power button.

I called Tyan tech support to get some help. I was given the instructions to take out the heatsink and processor in the CPU2 slot, and leave the processor and heatsink in the CPU1 slot. I also took out a RAM stick, leaving only one, and a firewire PCI card, leaving it down to the bare bones. Now, I plug in the power supply, and when I switch it on, I hear some sort of spark, and then I see some smoke floating up from the motherboard. The smoke was coming from somewhere toward the botton the of the mobo (farthest from the PSU). I called tech support back and the guy, the same one who gave me the instructions before, said my mobo was shorted out and that I need to send it back in for replacement.

Anything else I can do, or is it just totally f*cked?
  2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

For now, do as the technician says. If you damage the board some more they might refuse to replace. Even if you get it working, I wouldn't want to use a board which was smoking at one point. :giddy:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.