Snapdragon roadmap unveiled, 2.5GHz mobile CPUs in 2012

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Qualcomm has released a roadmap for their popular Snapdragon mobile processor line during their Innovation Qualcomm event in Istanbul. Expect to see multiple Snapdragon processors in the near future with speeds reaching as high as 2.5GHz, as first reported by Pocket Lint.

Snapdragon processors have been around since 2008 and are actually system on chips (SoC) rather than standalone CPUs. Qualcomm’s SoC is used to power many popular smartphones from the likes of BlackBerry and HTC, just to name a few.

As outlined in the roadmap, there will be four new Snapdragon classes. S1 class will cater to the mass market with speeds reaching 1GHz and Adreno 200 graphics. S2 will be reserved for high performance smartphones and tablets, featuring a 45nm process, 1.4GHz processing speeds and an Adreno 205 GPU.

qualcomm snapdragon cpus

Multi-tasking and advanced gaming devices will be supplied with up to dual-core 1.5GHz processors, Adreno 220 graphics, 3D and 3G HSPA+. Finally, next generation products will get S4 class upgrades such as a 28nm manufacturing process, up to 2.5GHz CPUs available in single / dual / quad-core configurations, dual or quad-core next-gen Adreno graphics and 3G and 4G LTE networking.

Qualcomm expects to roll out new Snapdragon parts to manufacturers by the end of the year with consumer product launches coming in early 2012. This could mean we may see new Qualcomm chips show up in mobile phones at CES 2012 in January or at the very latest, Mobile World Congress a month later.

Permalink to story.

I guess that means that when i buy a new phone next year it will be obsolete in 3 months instead of 6-9 months now.

As a consumer I'm a little excited, though that being said, its one thing to have that much processing power its another thing to be able to actually use it to its full potential. Storage capacity seems to be the only thing that is not increasing, that sucks :( Though i think that is because we are all being gently pushed into the "cloud"

At the rate that mobile processors are progressing, we may no longer need to ask the " But will it play Crysis ?" question because by the time the quad-cores come out, Crytek will probably already have Crysis 3 for Android :).

I agree, Storage is more important. I would love 128gb storage for all of my music and videos.

Back