So excited don't know where to post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxïmo

So. Having gone through a long process of umming and arring, and getting advice from anyone and everyone, I finally took the plunge and bought myself a new self-build. The best £450 I've ever spent! I have to share that warm fuzzy feeling with people who understand!

I'm the first to admit its not at the bleeding edge of technology, but I'm surprised at how well it runs the programs I've thrown at it so far. Doom 3 (incredibly scary!) runs with no stutters at Medium settings 800x600 with 2x aa (I tested how far I could push it, and while I got it to Ultra at 800x600 with 4x I felt it was unneccesary, as graphics werent vastly different) and all this on:

Athlon 64 3000 at 1.8GHz
512Mb Corsair Value PC3200 DDR RAM
XFX 6200 TC supporting 256Mb

:bounce: :grinthumb

I do have one small concern though. While the CPU is running 30°C, the GPU is running at 49°C idle and 71°C load. Are these figures anything to be worried about, cos I heard that anything above 60°C was a problem. However, everything seems to be running fine with no BSODs or crashes (touchwood for the future).
Finally, is there any facility in Doom for finding out the FPS? And does anyone know where I can find a good program for looking at my system in detail?

Many thanks to the people who helped me decide on my system specs, and here's to another week of that warm glow inside!

Maxïmo said:
.....While the CPU is running 30°C, the GPU is running at 49°C idle and 71°C load. Are these figures anything to be worried about, cos I heard that anything above 60°C was a problem. However, everything seems to be running fine with no BSODs or crashes (touchwood for the future).
Finally, is there any facility in Doom for finding out the FPS? And does anyone know where I can find a good program for looking at my system in detail?

Many thanks to the people who helped me decide on my system specs, and here's to another week of that warm glow inside!

hey. good stuff. its always cool when people upgrade to good quality stuff and its good that you happy with the buy. now. my cpu runs at about 37C idle, motherboard/system at 34C at idle and GPU at 51C idle. your values seem fine to me. also check out the other threads. there is one about amd 64 temps, wait i got the link, here https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic13759.html

not sure for doom but you could just use a program called FRAPS. then the program for finding your system in detail is called Everest. Also CPU-Z is quite good for your CPU, Ram and motherboard

Enjoy your new system!

Congratulations on your first computer build.

Your gpu temp is absolutely fine, gpu`s run much hotter than cpu`s.

The free Everest programme, will give you all the info you could want about your system. You can get it HERE

As Soil says, putting another 512mb of ram in your sytem would be a good idea, and you should see a big difference in performance.

Soil. £450=1,055.10 Australian dollars.

Regards Howard :) :)

Its around 1055 AUD (with 2.3 AUD to the pound). I was thinking of getting some more memory in the very near future, but for the minute its good. Also, if I can run Doom 3 at the levels I mentioned, do you think Half-Life 2 will be as respectable? Thanks for the link pkroks, and I shall download FRAPS asap to get some reliable data. Cheers all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back